Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chachi is realllllly picky. I had him on Nutro Ultra and half way ate it. So we got some Blue Buffalo Wilderness, thinking to get him a better quality. I started feeding it to him Thurs nite and today, he is vomiting little patches that look like foamy bile.

Has anyone elses Chi gotten sick on this?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I'm not really a Blue Buffalo fan, but it is a 5 star food on every dog food review website I have investigated so I think it is normally thought of as a good food. I can't remember at the moment how old is Chachi? There are so many reasons for a dog throwing up. The scary thing is that it is Saturday and if he keeps it up only the emergency vet is open tomorrow. I think I would make sure he has plenty of water for dehydration. For food I would feed boiled chicken and a little bit of rice but don't use canned broth because it has too much sodium. If he throws up 3-4 more times I would go to vet.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Did you transition the food or offer him all new Thursday night? Is he getting calorie-wise what he was getting before? Are you feeding at the same time?

Foamy bile is usually empty stomach vomit not as much sick/illness vomit. At least for my girls.

Is he running around like usual? Acting normally?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Did you transition the food or offer him all new Thursday night? Is he getting calorie-wise what he was getting before? Are you feeding at the same time?

Foamy bile is usually empty stomach vomit not as much sick/illness vomit. At least for my girls.

Is he running around like usual? Acting normally?
Good points. I didn't think of those.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ladies. Chachi is about 7 1/2 months old. And yes, I didn't mix his old with it the first two feedings but did mix it up last night. He only started vomitting this morning and it is mostly bile and foamy, and just little quarter sized bits of it. I have him restricted to his big wire cage. He barked at my son when he came to visit a while ago, so he still is well enough to do that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know JesusChick, but it has me a little worried. Will just watch him and if he gets worse, will call my vet. I am thinking it might be that food though. I should have transitioned him more slowly. I think I will just take it back to the store and try something else, cause it has me spooked.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I don't know JesusChick, but it has me a little worried. Will just watch him and if he gets worse, will call my vet. I am thinking it might be that food though. I should have transitioned him more slowly. I think I will just take it back to the store and try something else, cause it has me spooked.
put him back on his old food until he is back to normal. then, when you make
the change, make it very very slowly. maybe only change about 10 kibbles to
the new food per meal on day one, two, three. then about 20 pieces of kibble
changed out from the new food on days four, five, and six. and so on...
hope he feels better soon :)

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Thanks JerrysMom. I picked out all the new food this morning, where I had it mixed. Will give him his Nutro Ultra. Am kinda of afraid of the Wilderness now. What do you feed your dog?
My dogs had been on Royal Canin all of their lives. About 10 days ago, I
switched them over to a freeze-dried raw, ZiwiPeak. They are doing fabulously
well on it :)

Amazon.com: ZiwiPeak Real Meat Grain Free Air Dried Raw Dog Food, Lamb, 2.2lb: Pet Supplies

If you decide to feed ZP, you won't be mixing it with old food. You would just
start on the new food. I have read here that Raw and Kibble digest at different
rates, so you wouldn't want to mix them. My dogs are fairly sensitive and both
made the transition directly to ZP with no problems. I was pleasantly surprised!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update...

I think I may have found the culprit. He just vomitted up a rock. Craziness!!! We took him on his first camping trip about a week ago, and this campground has sites with little rock chips for the driveway and campspot. I caught him trying to eat some and always stopped him before he could. I guess he sneaked. I hope there are no more.:confused:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He's pooped twice today, so hopefully no obstructions. Its crazy!!

I don't understand why he wants to eat everything BUT his food, and we have tried several foods. He would rather have catfood, fuzz off the floor, rocks, sometimes his own poo, anything but dog food.

Very frustrating. Hopefully that was the only rock he ate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts