Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you change the way a dog is housetrained???

I'm asking about Riley. I think she was taught to go outdoors but for various reasons, we need her to be pad trained. How do I go about this? I'm sick and tired of cleaning up pee/poop. My hands are broken out from all the chemicals and I'm at my wits end.

We've tried putting her on the pads and saying "go potty." We've tried putting the pads where she normally goes. We went a bought a potty patch because we thought maybe if she could "feel grass". We've tried leash walking her on the pads.

NOTHING works. In 1.5 weeks we've only got her to go on the pad ONCE. Please help!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Pics!!!! Please?!

I don't know. If she's been pottying outside for 1.5 years and has been taught that pottying inside is bad then she may have a very hard time learning to go on potty pads. I know that when you teach a dog to use a potty pad you don't teach them that going outside is bad, just not a necessity. But when you are teaching a dog to potty outdoors then you do teach them that if they go inside it is naughty. I know my dogs would be very worried and disturbed and even frightened if I tried to keep them from pottying outside and tried to make them go indoors. I'm willing to bet that mine would make themselves sick before they would go inside. They were taught, very successfully, that inside is not where you go!

I guess if you have to have her potty inside that I would try an under bed sweater box with sod squares in it so she can still feel and smell real grass.

But I would watch her carefully for signs of stress and general unhappiness while doing this. If it makes her really worried and stressed it might not be worth it. You don't want her to be miserable, feeling that she is doing something wrong and worrying about it all the time.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I did this with my Westie Jakob when he had a back problem as I didn't want to carry him 'gently' up a huge flight of stairs when we were living in my MIL's basement. So what I did was got an ex-pen and put the pad in the x-pen and made is small enough so it was just 1 square big (if that makes sense) and covered the entire floor with pad/newspaper then when it was potty time he went in the ex-pen until he went potty, and I praised the heck out of him. If she is pooping/peeing all over your house then she probably wasn't all that potty trained to the outside before you got her. I would suggest either the tethering method and/or crate training. So she doesn't have free access to your house until she's more reliable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts