Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to switch my 2 chihuahua's to raw for sometime now and I finally decided to go for it this week....It was either this or my older 3 yr old chi was going to need to have his teeth cleaned...They were on a very good kibble/grain free canned as it was but I know he needed this for his dental health and just over all well being...
Here's my problem.....I started them on chicken necks...2% for my 3 yr old chi and 3 % for the 2 yr old.....of their body weight....My younger one seems fine ...its been 3 days now...but yesterday my older one seems off...He lies around alot and just isn't his old self....I panic this am and gave them thier kibble again...thinking he just isn't doing the best on it and I don't want to see him sick...
But I'd really like to keep them on the raw maybe I shouldn't have done the necks alone ? I thought I read and got myself prepared for the switch .....maybe I am being paranoid ? I dunno I could just use some good in sight and from reading this board I know there are alot of ppl here feeding raw....help :foxes15:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Don't give the kibble carry on with the raw I would think it could be detoxing too as they have to get all the stuff out their system if you really wanna go raw chuck out all the kibble and canned in your house. Starting onbit us a long and lengthy process and sloe and steady wins the race.

Also we are here to help bit we are all in different time zones so won't always get an immediate response. Keep trying with raw. Did you brush your dogs teeth before

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What are their stools like?

Personally, I'd rather see you start with a meatier piece of chicken than a neck. I'd suggest bone-in chicken breasts. Sometimes necks are just too much bone for beginners. It is suggested because it will help the transition to raw with stools. Sometimes the switch causes loose stools.

If you are really wanting to switch, then I'd ditch the kibble completely. It is addictive because of the carbs and many dogs will hold out for it if they can still smell it in the house.

You could also try cornish hens. They are just the right size for Chihuahua's. They have a better meat to bone ratio than necks. They are still bony, so they should produce good stools.

Good luck and get back to us with questions! We will help you. Don't get discouraged.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I would start off with a meatier bone. A bone in chicken breast is good, but I think cornish hens are perfect for Chihuahuas starting raw. Cornish hens are just the right size, and are easy to quarter into sections. I'd take off the fat. It can cause loose stools. You can add skin in when your dogs become accustomed to the raw chicken. Remember, to much bone will constipate them.
The best advice I can give anyone that is starting raw is to do a lot of research and take it slow. :)

Good luck, and welcome raw! ;)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Also, make SURE and read the labels on the chicken you buy. No enhanced chicken! Sodium should be 100mg or less per serving.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help...I just was to worried I took him to the E vet.....this isn't my reg vet but he was a very nice man and we talked alot about the raw diet.....the conclusion was he was constipated because of the bones...I kinda figured that was the problem...he try to clean him out some with is finger...poor Jose....But he didn't think he was blocked....he gave him some laxative and said he didn't know alot about the raw diet but he did recommend me not giving them chicken bones....but he did say he was my dog and I could feed him whatever I wanted ...He was a very understanding vet...I want to do the raw diet and thought I was well imformed ....but this scared me...I'm going to get back to it very soon ....In just the few days I could see Jose's teeth looking better ...but again thanks and when I start again I will go with chicken breasts...I dont know about cornish hens tho ? Cause they cost alot here ...I think like $10 for one....

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
yes, chicken necks are VERY bone heavy. They have very little meat and are mostly bone. I'm not surprised he was constipated.

If you can't get cornish hens, then just plain chickens are fine to start with. Remember to keep your ratios at mostly meat (80%!), a little bone (10%) and later on you can start adding in organs (10%).

I'd do the bone-IN chicken breasts and/or chop up a chicken into pieces. Mostly meat and a little bone. Drumsticks and thighs are fine too. If they are too much food, just feed half of one. Or let them eat the meat and then take the bone away before they have consumed it all. You will learn quickly how much bone is required to regulate the stools. Aim for only 10% bone though. Once everything is stabilized, you can move on to other proteins... pork, beef, rabbit, lamb, bison, fish.

Remember that slow and steady wins the race. You have lots of time. Go slow.

Get back to us with questions. We'll help you.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If you are really wanting to switch, then I'd ditch the kibble completely. It is addictive because of the carbs and many dogs will hold out for it if they can still smell it in the house.
Wow, my lot are the oppisite!!Ever since having raw for supper they have really lost interest in their breakfast kibble. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Chicken necks are higher in bone content (approx 36% give or take depending on the neck) but like you know Nancy my whole crew started out on nothing but chicken necks for 2 straight weeks w/no issues. Obviously you know now that Jose requires a more meaty meal. Like mentioned breasts are great or thighs are a similar bone/meat ratio (21% - these are estimates of what I've found online but each cut is different of course) but I believe are a bit cheaper (I got some thighs for $1.50per pound last week). I'd just peel the skin off to start.

Or you really could use the necks (I know they're typically very cheap) & add in some boneless chicken breast to off set the higher bone content.

I was so much like you just before I started - very worried something would go wrong or I'd mess something up or it wouldn't work, etc. You've got to be very comitted for it to work. I don't think I started until I was 100% comfortable with it so I understand wanting a few days. :)

Oh & a note about the cornish hens...I'm not sure what the price difference is bit I can get a perdue cornish hen (sodium level is well within the limit) for about $3.50 & they're about 1lb. I can easily cut them into 6 pieces for my dogs so I really like using them.

Anyway, take a breather & try again! Every little "road bump" is a learning curb that will make you more knowledgable & comfortable with what you're feeding. Before long you'll be a pro!! :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Chicken necks are higher in bone content (approx 36% give or take depending on the neck) but like you know Nancy my whole crew started out on nothing but chicken necks for 2 straight weeks w/no issues. Obviously you know now that Jose requires a more meaty meal. Like mentioned breasts are great or thighs are a similar bone/meat ratio (21% - these are estimates of what I've found online but each cut is different of course) but I believe are a bit cheaper (I got some thighs for $1.50per pound last week). I'd just peel the skin off to start.

Or you really could use the necks (I know they're typically very cheap) & add in some boneless chicken breast to off set the higher bone content.

I was so much like you just before I started - very worried something would go wrong or I'd mess something up or it wouldn't work, etc. You've got to be very comitted for it to work. I don't think I started until I was 100% comfortable with it so I understand wanting a few days. :)

Oh & a note about the cornish hens...I'm not sure what the price difference is bit I can get a perdue cornish hen (sodium level is well within the limit) for about $3.50 & they're about 1lb. I can easily cut them into 6 pieces for my dogs so I really like using them.

Anyway, take a breather & try again! Every little "road bump" is a learning curb that will make you more knowledgable & comfortable with what you're feeding. Before long you'll be a pro!! :)
Good advice Heather. I didn't even think about continuing to use the necks but adding more meat on the side with them. Great suggestion. I know you started yours out on necks and they did fantastic. Each dog is different.

I like your comment also about being 100% committed. I agree. You have to have confidence in your decision. And to be truthful, most problems are owner error. The OP gave too much bone and caused constipation. The other day I gave Brody a bite of brocolli and he snarfed it. So I gave him another piece ... and another.... Well, I paid for that mistake with 2 days of diarrhea! Terrible! His little system isn't used to that. I won't make that mistake again.

Live and learn! ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I start back up ...I will try what Heather said....add some breast meat along with the chicken neck....Lola did totally fine on just chicken necks....Jose will need more meat......But I just got worried he could have had an intestinal blockage and I just needed to be sure it wasn't....I probably could have just givin him more meat.....I guess live and learn....but I also found out while we were at the vets he has luxating patella in both of his back legs level 2...And that his teeth are not as bad as a vet told me last year....Anyways those are other topics for another day....
Jose seems back to normal today ...he had a huge bowel movement today and I am sure all the bone fragments are gone ....thank goodness :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
When I start back up ...I will try what Heather said....add some breast meat along with the chicken neck....Lola did totally fine on just chicken necks....Jose will need more meat......But I just got worried he could have had an intestinal blockage and I just needed to be sure it wasn't....I probably could have just givin him more meat.....I guess live and learn....but I also found out while we were at the vets he has luxating patella in both of his back legs level 2...And that his teeth are not as bad as a vet told me last year....Anyways those are other topics for another day....
Jose seems back to normal today ...he had a huge bowel movement today and I am sure all the bone fragments are gone ....thank goodness :)
I'm so glad he is feeling better! Sorry about the patellas though. :( Be sure and keep him lean, no matter what you choose to feed. Excess weight is really hard on their knees.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts