Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have been waiting patiently for Zeus to come out of his shell per se. He will be 6 months in 3 days but he still won't play with ANY toy (plush cloth squeaker, plush leather squeaker, tiny squeaker bear, and a tiny rope) I won't buy him any other toys since he won't play with the ones he already has. Though he is becoming more hyper. He will slam into a pouncing position and then sprint in circles so fast he falls over. He will then try to play with 1 of the other dogs by standing up and smack her in the face but she, just like all of them, want nothing to do with him. He has not attempted to chew on anything as if he was teething (he lost his last baby tooth last week as well). He does not show dominance over the other dogs who are females. Just based on what I have read and the other chis I have come encounter with, they all seem really playful and full of energy. Zeus has not and I will lay money down that he couldn't bark to save his life. The only sound he makes is this horrific cry sound when he is left alone while I am at school. I actually think I am lucky I don't have a lil terrorist, but will he open up and become more playful? And are there other changes I should expect?

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
My boy is very calm. Not near as playful as the girls. He doesn't play with toys. He's just content being where I am. He just eats, sleeps, cuddles, etc. Very mild mannered lil guy. I think they each just have their own personalities. As for barking, some don't bark for quite some time. And even then may still end up fairly quiet. I wouldn't worry unless he seems ill/off. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I guess he broke is shell today....He just randomly started barking and hasnt stopped. It scared me at first since he has never barked in his life. He is now running around making grunting sounds and yapping up a storm.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
My Delilah does not play with toys. She's a year and a half and she has absolutely no interest in toys. Tico doesnt either, but that's another story. Reggie, Gonzo and Lexxi rarely play with toys, either. And Yay for the barking...I think. lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, he started barking so I grabbed my phone and started recording him. He is too funny. He wouldn't stop. FYI, he is now going down stairs on his own as well. Just over the last couple of days he just has suddenly changed.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My boy is very calm. Not near as playful as the girls. He doesn't play with toys. He's just content being where I am. He just eats, sleeps, cuddles, etc. Very mild mannered lil guy. I think they each just have their own personalities. As for barking, some don't bark for quite some time. And even then may still end up fairly quiet. I wouldn't worry unless he seems ill/off. :)
This ^ !
Neither of my dogs like toys very much, they like chews but thats about all.
My dogs don't bark much either, unless someone is at the door.
Some dogs are just naturally calmer.

If I was to stay in bed all day my male dog would stay there with me.. LOL literally! my female is my husband's little shadow :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He doesn't want anything to do with those treat chew things. I bought him a pack when I went over to a friends house and realized it was going to be past his dinner time so I got them on my way to my friends in lue of his dinner....He rather have starved than try it. I talk to his breeder all the time and she told me he was attatched to a rope toy. Well, he has one, and it sits there wanting to be played with.lol

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Midgie doesn't play with toys either unless I lay on the floor with her and then she will only play with two particular toys (stuffed animals).

·
Registered
97 Posts
He might not be much of a toy guy then? Just as a matter of clarification, Nylabones are nylon bones they can chew on with a little bit give. But if he isn't a big chewer either it might not be his thing. Anyway, he's still so young. You never know what other changes might come in the coming months! :D

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
My Cricket plays with a toy if I am down on the floor with her. I picked her up so she could hear Zeus barking, and she just looked at me "Really Mommy?" lol.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Maybe consider this aversion to toys a savings? My Annie loves shredding those rope toys, and the strings are all over the house. What a mess. But she loves them so much. She also has a thing for tags. She will search and destroy any tag in existence anywhere. And stuffed toys are instantly demolished. She is also a slipper hoarder. Oh, and a poo filcher. She loves to visit with me afterwards and burp in my face. Lovely. I adore her . . . even though she needs a shrink.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hmm... maybe Zeus is not into toys... I remember Hershey was already playing with all types of toys when I got her at 12 weeks.

Love the barking video!! Sooo cute!! :-D

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Well I guess he broke is shell today....He just randomly started barking and hasnt stopped. It scared me at first since he has never barked in his life. He is now running around making grunting sounds and yapping up a storm.
first bark, is that like first steps for a baby hehehehe...glad that he barked and you got to hear what he had in there!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I say count your blessings! At least 3 x every day I go around my house and collect up all the toys and chewies that my pair leave around and as soon as I turn my back they are all over the place again. My little one thinks it's particularly fun to tip over the toy box once I've filled it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
He is too cute! My girls didn't play with toys much either for awhile. They still don't too much now, just the plush squeaker toys sometimes. They love socks and to play with either other though! And they chew bully sticks.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Some just don't like toys, chews, etc. All of my Chi's do...none of my bigger dogs really did. But eh? Milo is quite lazy & quiet. Doesn't like toys much. LOVES nylabones, bullies, etc though. And yeah...Lulu didn't bark until she was like 8mo. LOL She doesn't bark a lot now but before she never did. Sounds like your boy just found his bark too. All is normal. They have different personalites, like people. :)

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
The video is adorable!

I was watching it with my Jax on my lap and he just perked up and started looking like hey where is that other dog so I can go play?

My Jax has a couple toys that he will play with but it seems like the time he is most hyper and wants to play is between 3 to 4 am in the morning. The last couple days he has been waking up whining horribly to go outside around that time and when I bring him back inside and think it is time to go back to bed he thinks it is time to play. When we come in the door I tell him to lets go get his treat. I go to the utility room and he goes to his bed and sits beside of it and waits for his treat. Usually by the time he chomps down his little treat he is rolling in his bed finding a toy to play with and bringing it to me to play fetch. I love playing fetch with him but 3 am fetch is not my favorite game.

I have not heard Jax bark but, I love his quiet cuddly nature. He has his hyper moments but most of the time he is content to just lie on my lap and cuddle.

Congratulations on your dogs first bark.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts