Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got Biscuit he was a pale creamy king of color and I expected him to darken up. Some. He did to a darker creamy color. Then last week for like 4 days he did a massive shed and now his ears, the fronts of his legs, and down the middle of his back are becoming an orangy red color. Is this likely the color he will end up being or can I expect more color changes? Will add pic in a little bit.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
It's not uncommon for them to totally change color. They always change at least a little. Gemma has changed quite a bit since we brought her home. She used to have a lot more blue in her coat.

Here she is the first day we brought her home:

If you compare to the pictures I just recently posted, her coat looks quite a bit different.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I was just thinking about this the other day. Kerri is a totally different color than Gemma and Biscuit but she also has become way more orange in her growing up. The first pic she is 3-4 months and the second pick she is 13 months. I tried to find two in the same lighting (full sun)-
4 months-

1 year 1 month-

Being sable all her hairs start lighter she is not truly black anywhere so I expected those marking to change a little bit but the oranging surprised me a lot. I thought some of it was seasonal because my non chi changes color with the seasons a bit but now we are back around to October again so I am sure it was just her growing up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you look at other pics I have posted lately too you can see her face has silvered a lot too- around the muzzle and under her ears mostly. She still is mostly solid black down her spine but it is hard to see cause of the angle of that second pic.
That is so neat that her color changed like that. I like it.

I too am/was expecting some color change, but with him being that creamy white color, I didn't expect the orange.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I think color changes are pretty common.. Penny went from a pale red color as a puppy with a couple of merle markings to a very dark red(or I guess you could say orange) with only one tiny merle spot. Lion also developed some tan "freckles" on his face and legs.
I guess it is hard to tell in these photos, but she was a lot paler as a puppy. She also lost the stripe between her eyes and has a much larger white mask.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Wow, I had no idea they changed so much in color! I have had a lot of dogs in my life and none of them have changed like the chi's do. Is it a breed specific thing?

Leo looks like a totally different dog! He is soooo cute by the way as a baby and as a big boy!

I can see the difference in Penny. Both of your chi's are beautiful! The color that is coming out in Biscuit is the red-ish color of Penny when she was a puppy. This is so neat!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts