Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H everyone, over the year,s that if had dog,s, they all seem to get over having the same kibble day in day out.Because the kibble bags start from 1klo bags, and i have 1 little chi, charchi,s starting to turn his nose up to it as well, he,ll eat only a few like about 4, and about the same at lunctime. I,d like to know if anyone knows how i could get some smaller bags, say 500grms or little sachets that i could give a few different ones a week, he,s eating Royal Canin at the moment, but i would like him to have Ziwipeak, but same problem only come in1klo bags, in the kibble. Any ideas anyone, and do any of your dogs get sick of eating the same food? thanks -janet.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I buy the large bag of ZP & take out a little at a time & freeze the rest to keep fresh. My chi never gets bored of her food. Are you sure that you're not overfeeding? He may not be hungry. As long as he's playing, drinking & eating something, I wouldn't worry. I don't feed kibble anymore, but when I used to, my chi would nibble throughout the day & only eat when I was home. I left kibble out for her 24/7. Since I feed THK & ZP, she never gets bored & gets excited when I get her next meal out of the fridge. You could try to liven the kibble up with a splash of chicken broth & see if that works.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I think you can make him a picky eater by constantly trying to give him a varity of food. Rocky got my parents perfectly trained. Whenever he is there and he doesn't eat his food (he will just look at his bowl and look back at my parents with a sad face put on) they will give him something else until he gets what he wants.

If I were you I would just pick a good food and stick with it (so would defo stick with Ziwipeak rather than RC). If your dog realizes that this is the food he will get and nothing else I am sure he will eat it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Some days dogs are hungrier than others. My Sheltie randomly skips breakfast, sometimes leaves a small amount of kibble, then other days hogs his breakfast like its the best food ever. I don't change foods because one of my dogs has food allergies and I finally found a brand/flavor that works for her and everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
191 Posts
It appears there are two schools of thought here. (Mix it up vs stick with one) interesting! Another reason I enjoy forums, lots of different opinions and sources of information.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I change varieties of ZP and frozen raw every bag, but I have two dogs so it goes by faster. However, I do not change flavors because they won't eat it. They eat the flavor I give them, and when the bag runs out they get a new one. They don't get to decide.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
variety is the key. much like us humans. if u were to eat one type of food all day everyday wouldnt u get bored too?
I totally agree! They do get bored eating the same thing. I mix her food up, but the key is that it's all raw that I'm mixing & that's why she loves it. I change off on the different THK choices & ZP choices & when I have fresh raw, I either combine it with THK or replace the THK or ZP. Sometimes I feed the THK for breakfast & the ZP for supper. I would find it hard to believe that any dog would turn their nose up at meat. Very few. So the constant factor with here with the variety is "RAW". With kibble, even the 5-star kibble, just about all the protein & taste is cooked out. I do understand that feeding raw can be a little more costly, but in the long run, the benefits outweigh feeding kibble like less vet appointments, sickly dogs, unsatisfied appetites, shinier coats, fresh breath, etc..

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I've seen Taste of The Wild 500gm sample packs in pet stores for around $3.75 with a "One Bag Per Customer" sticker - pfft, I used to just grab one every time I went in but not now because I won't feed any food that'll tick to their teeth the way Jatz biscuits stick to ours.

Have you tried Big Dog pre-packaged frozen Raw - I get it for $19.50 for 12 sachets from my local pet store & one sachet will do all 4 dogs for one meal. I thought that was expensive, until I started preparing my own from the butchers and there's no way I could get 3kg for that amount of $'s. It's available in lots & lots of different meats and they thrive on that wit ZP added.

I would simply get air-tight containers to decanter your ZP into. It's not necessary to freeze it, the most important factor is keeping the air out so it doesn't dry out and spoil.

I think if you mix up their foods with flavours, both the raw mix, ZiwiPeak and types of bones they get, they'll never get bored. I'm one of those people who only eats because I have to, I'm not into food at all, as in I derive no pleasure from it, not even in the finest of restaurants, it's just something I have to do to say alive. My dogs are exactly like me, they don't get excited about any food at all and it takes them ages to bring themselves to eat anything, even their bones lay around for an hour or so until they begrudgingly decide they should eat them before the flies spoil them, sigh.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, i can understand what everyone ie saying and i know your all right, i think alot of the time he just not hungry,i do leave his kibble down all day, it does go down in the amount i put down so someone,s got to be eating it, and i have no more pets ,and i dont eat it, so hey, must be charchi. I,m still trying to get used to having a very small dog with a very small tummy, and i have always been a worry wort.When i buy the ziwee peak, i was thinking of also buying some of their tin ziwee peak to give at dinner .What do you think guy,s, or to much ziwee peak. thanks- janet.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Mice will carry it off & eat it too. I've found through the years tons of kibble stored in speakers & other places of the house when I used to feed kibble. Like many chis, my chi would only eat when I was home. She would go into the kitchen & grab some kibble, bring it into the living room where I'm at & eat it piece by piece. So I knew she was eating it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts