Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today Penelope came up onto my knee for a bit of a pet and a cuddle. Charlie got very protective and was growling and snarling and attacking Penelope just because she was on me. I looked at him and picked him up and said hey she been here allot longer than you little man. And I put him on the floor and didn't pick him back k up until I was finished giving Penelope her love and cuddling. I can see he's going to need to be put in his place. I also noticed that if where outside playing and its time to come in he gets real snarly and mad and trys to bite. He's reàlly going to have to learn his place in this house and his place is dead last. Any suggestions on how to nip this behaviour in the bud before it gets out of control

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Keep doing exactly what your doing. When Bijoux used to do that behaviour I would tap her side (to snap her out of it) and tell her NO! I put her in the scenarios where she would do it again and again just to be sure she got the message. Then whenever she didn't I would give her so much praise so she knew what I wanted.

:) remember to be patient these behaviours won't end over night, also he most likely is going through his teenage rebellion stage. Bioux went through it and then all of a sudden snapped out of it. But it's best to nip it in the bud like you are.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
BG use to do that with bones and toys. I would go up to her and take whatever she was playing with, if she growled she got a firm NO and lost the item for a minute then I would give it back wait a few minutes and do it again. If she let me take it she would get praise.

Sonny will try to push BG away when she gets close to me so I will pick her up first and give her love then pick him up and give him love or push him away and tell him no and give her love.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BG use to do that with bones and toys. I would go up to her and take whatever she was playing with, if she growled she got a firm NO and lost the item for a minute then I would give it back wait a few minutes and do it again. If she let me take it she would get praise.

Sonny will try to push BG away when she gets close to me so I will pick her up first and give her love then pick him up and give him love or push him away and tell him no and give her love.
That's basically what I did but he can get out and out vicious I have little grand kids I can't have him biting anybody he must learn his place while he is still young and like I said in this pack he is at the lowest rung.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
i understand 100% Sonny never got vicious he just pushes her out of the way at times

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
How old is he? Axle went through this stage at about 4 1/2 months. I used the NILIF method (nothing in life is free) and it worked to get a result at the time but I think he just outgrew the phase (and got neutered). I remember one particular night when he had no bed or toys and had to sit on the floor being totally ignored for half an hour before he would behave - you have to get tough!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would not pick him up, but speak to him firmly.
give him a clear NO. And is he keeps on doing it give him a soft push with your hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts