Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our little darling Arwen (20 months old) likes to chew. We give her a lot of things to chew on, and make sure she can't reach bad things like pens (from experience). But her favorite chew toy is our fingers. DH is pretty good about discipline, and our son (15 years of age) is awful. She practically drools when she sees our son because she wants to gnaw on his big hands, and he thinks it's funny.

I'm trying to be stern, but tend to flake out about the no nibbling on fingers rule. I give her a substitute chew toy, but in a few minutes somehow she's back onto my fingers. She doesn't bite or nip, just wants to chew or nibble.

Any suggestions? I know we shouldn't allow it (according to DH. I'm not sure why-aggression/dominance issues?), but she's so cute that I often slip.

Thanks in advance,

Avril, mom to Arwen the chewer

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Are you giving her a "toy" to chew or something like a bully stick? She may need something more attractive. Like a stuffed kong.

I bought some Himilayan chews. Angel loves it. I think my golden does too, but he takes everything away from her, so she just doesn't bother! I gave him one on Saturday, he even took outside with him to pee! lol.

But he ended up having it taken away because he was "guarding" it. But, it has lasted a long time!! They're not cheap, but they last.

Is she 20months? Not 20 weeks? Angel is 20 months and doesn't have a desire to chew on our fingers anymore. He did when he was younger, but not now!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me, Cindy.

She has toys, chewy toys, bones, bully sticks, and a kong on a rope (haven't stuffed it yet).

She was born in December, I think. She was handed over to the doggy rescue place because her owner couldn't afford the vet bills. So I'm fairly sure she's 20 months, but not 100 % certain. She acts puppy like and I wonder if her development wasn't arrested by being given up by her first family, then staying at the shelter.

I hope she gives up the chewing with age.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.