Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am friends with a gal who works @ a great pet store here in Montreal. Now, before you get all riled up about pet stores, here is the thing. I am not a fan of them either - but this one genuinely cares about their animals and will not sell them to just anyone. In fact, I know of many people who've gotten beautiful purebred animals from this store (for free) because the animal has something like a heart murmur or a slight medical condition that is entirely treatable and the animal can live a long life.....the store just can't 'SELL' them, so they give them away to good homes. As a matter of fact, I recently helped them adopt out a papillon thru a local rescue place. Good people.

Anyway - this brings me to this: They have a 4 month old purebred chi there right now who has a molera - soft spot on it's head. This soft spot is the reason they can't sell a $1700 dog. So, if they get the go-ahead from the vet, they will be able to give this dog away. And you guessed it: I might just be the adopt-er! (I was going to look for a 2nd chi in the spring..but hey, sometimes these things happen).

Do you guys have experience with the 'soft spot'? If so - how has it affected your dog - or your dealings w/ the dog? It scares me a little....but maybe I'm overreacting...

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
most chis are born with a molera and they close up over time lily still has hers but it is only small about the diameter of a small pea , it used to be a disqualification from showing etc if a chihuahua did not have a molera. so I dont see why they will have to put her for adoption as this is just a regular chi trait and will close over time - much the same as a babys soft spot :wave:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes, the AKC only recently changed "with molera" in their standard to "with or without molera." It's widely considered a trait of the breed.

So if you get a great dog for free because a misconception on part of the owners of the shop, that's great, but the molera isn't anything to worry about.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just wanted to agree with what has already been said....they are absolutely correct...Lola's molera still has not closed entirely, the vet said it is nothing to worry about in this breed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I believe in larger breeds an unclosed molera can be a sign of health problems which is why many people mistake it for the same things in Chis even though theres nothing wrong. But I wouldn't tell the pet store that, they might charge you the 1700$ LOL

·
Registered
238 Posts
Chico's didn't have a soft spot when I got him at 9 wks or it had already closed. From what you guys are saying, that's not normal....or is it?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
no it is normal for them to not have one as it is for them too have one - usually deer hear chis do not have a molera :wave:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well...I guess if any head shape that's not real round with a sharp stop is considered deer head, then he qualifies. But what I had in mind was a head shape like Kiwi's.

Doesn't matter to me.....I love him anyway!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
he is perfect in every way - in no way was I implying that the deer head was inferior or less attractive - personally I love the deer head :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts