Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a German Shorthair Pointer pup (Mocha) (she is almost 10 months old and is about 55 lbs) and then Pippin, who is 14 weeks, 3 lbs. They want to play so badly, they both have very large metal crates (houses) they live in during the day that are right next to one another. Mocha is SO hyper and still a little clumsy. I tried once to have them out together and watched Mocha's feet REALLY carefully but she ended up head-butting poor Pippin and now his left ear is a little floppy at the tip. He's fine otherwise. My coworker has a GSP and a Yorkie and when her yorkie was little, her GSP accidently stepped on him and broke his hip. So...my question is for those of you with big dogs and chi's, how do you integrate them safely or do you keep them separated? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
677 Posts
When I had the larger breeds, they were always very mellow. I don't think I ever would have considered a small breed if they were hyper active.

My only suggestion would be to keep her on a leash around him and correct any unwanted/dangerous behaviour now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she does pretty good about staying away from him, she knows she's bigger I think ,but she wants to play and gets happy with her big feet. Right now, we've just been letting them out separately to play (they play together through the crate) or I hold Pippin while she's out.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would still put her on a leash and teach to behave a little more politely around him, or you may have to let them out seperately for the rest of their lives if she doesn't learn it's not okay to paw him without some control. It is possible to teach dogs play manners, especially if you plan on bringing them dog parks.

My little Prads is still sketchy about larger dogs because of a boisterous lab puppy at the dog park with absolutely no manners. He kept pouncing and smacking her around, despite his owners attempts to control him. All he did was ignore her and head right back over, even from the other side of the park.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
When we brought Miley home a few months ago, my fiances lab was about 7 months old. I sort of expected that they would have to be kept more or less separate for the first few months, until Miley got a little bigger and Ben got a little more mature. At first we only had them out together if Miley was curled up with us on the couch for a movie or something. We quickly found that Ben was pretty gentle with her, so we started letting them all be out together, usually late in the evening or after a long walk when Ben was tired and calm. They play together all the time now and are best buddies. Occasionally he does cause her to yelp, but its always an accident and she has never been hurt, luckily.
When I brought my Reese home, I lived with roommates, one of whom had a great dane puppy. She was VERY rambunctious and not well cared for or trained. I NEVER let Reese down on the ground with her, and usually couldnt even have them in the same room because she would go totally nuts and try to jump all over us. She wasnt a mean or aggressive dog, she just had too much energy and enthusiasm to ever safely play with such a little dog.
So, Id say it depends on the dog. Wait for a time when Mocha and Pippin are both more sleepy and relaxed to let them both be out together and see how they do. Always supervise them together and just see how she does with him. It may be months, or never, before they can safely play together, it just depends on your dogs I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would socialize them slowly and watch them carefully. I would keep the separate for awhile specially til I was sure that Pippins "soft spot was closed"

·
Registered
544 Posts
You've got about till Mocha is about 18 months old before she'll really know where her feet are in relation to a puppy. Between now and then, I'd keep her on leash when they are together. Playing through the gate is wonderful. Training Mocha to "be little" is one way to start getting them together. It starts with teaching "down" so the big dog is laying on the floor, then bring the little dog in and say "be little" why enforcing that she has to stay on the floor. Treat for "be little" and gentle play. If she tries to get up, put her back down with "be little" and a tug on the leash, then treat. It takes a long time but it works. Once she's older, if she's had the proper training, you'll better be able to trust her. However, with that said, this particular breed isn't one that I'd ever trust 100% with small pups/dogs....unless they have been through hunt trial training. This breed was designed to go with hunters, alert and point towards the fowl, and then retrieve them. This is a mouthy breed because of that. If they aren't taught to not bite down (which they do to keep them from crushing the fowl), they can kill a small animal trying to pick it up in their mouths. This happened to a friend of mine so this isn't a "possibility." It's a known concern with these types of breeds. Same reason I wouldn't have a sight hound in the same household with Chis. You have to consider the primary function of the breed when trying to intergrate mixed households. With proper training, it can be done, but one must consider the additional training needed for specific breeds being introduced to small dogs. So in addition to teaching "be little", I'd get someone to train her for "bite inhibition". Again, it's still not 100%, as my friend found out, but it's the best you can do, plus constant monitoring. Even when you can put them together, it should never, ever be unsupervised. I have Danes and they do well with the Chis, but they are never left alone with them, even if I'm just going to the bathroom.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Lisa gave you some great advice. I love my golden retriever to pieces, but she is almost 2 years old and I do not let my chihuahua down on the ground when Shellie is out and about, as Shellie just mows over her and I'm afraid she could be easily hurt by Shellie, some big dogs are a little bit more 'relaxed' but Shellie acts like she's on speed 24/7 (she's extremely hyper) and just doesn't know her own size. My standard poodle on the other hand was very gentle with my little one even when she was a puppy. I do have a few 'doggie dates' groups that Shellie gets to play with bigger dogs as well as Doggie Daycare. Zoey does try to tell Shellie off if she gets into her face too much (which is a lot).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts