Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone's chi done this? Chico my male chi chews on his nails. I have always heard if they lick their paws a lot it could be allergies, but he isn't licking them he actually chews on his nails. I keep his nails trimmed so I don't think he is trying to trim them. He chews them to a sharp point. I just found this strange. Any clues?

·
Registered
530 Posts
OMG that's too funny!!!
Charlie chews his feet, not really his nails so much...he puts his whole foot in his mouth. I was worried he would hurt himself but he doesn't bite hard enough to do anything it's funny to look over and see his foot in his mouth. :lol:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
chimom said:
I don't think it is unusual. Tia, my chi who passed away last year, used to chew her nails. She used to drive me nuts-she always chewed on her nails after we went to bed at night. Here I am trying to get to sleep, and all I could hear is "chomp-chomp and slurp-slurp". :lol:
My 15 yr old chi that passed away did the same thing! :D

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Ritz chews his nails too, it's kind of funny to catch him with his foot in his mouth!

It's perfectly normal, but I would occasionally watch for signs of irritation, infection, or allergy. Swollen pads, redness inbetween the toes, or hair loss can indicate another reason for the chewing like flea allergy, or food allergy, or irritation from anything that he may be in contact with like grass or possibly even foreign object if severe.

Sometimes Ritz puts his feet in my mouth like maybe he wants me to bite them....I don't think so Ritz. =)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My Teddy does the same thing! He chews on his nails and they really get sharp. Then they catch on the carpet when he walks across the floor. He looks so funny! :lol:

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
chimom said:
she always chewed on her nails after we went to bed at night. Here I am trying to get to sleep, and all I could hear is "chomp-chomp and slurp-slurp". :lol:
SNAP :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys have been so helpful. I guess Chico isn't any stranger than most chi's. He could have a worse habit than nail biting . Thanks everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts