Chihuahua People Forum banner

Chi Biting

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  paint my world 
#1 ·
AHHH... my chi won't stop biting. I know he's only a puppie but even if you shout at him really loud or yelp like he has hurt you he won't stop. He;s been driving my boyfriend mad with it all day. It's not like I can even give him a wee smack. He's tiny. Anyway tips?

Thanks
*Vicky*

#2 ·
Deano when he plays or gets overly excited bites, he doesnt hurt and i know he is only playing but i dont realy want deano to get into the habit of it. usually i just look at him and say no! or point my finger at him. He usually gets the point and stops. :wink:

#4 ·
paint my world said:
Zola just wont stop biting. I shout at him really loud, point my finger or even try giving him a tap on the bum an nothing works, he really is a monster. Its not nasty biting, its playing but it is sore

*Vicky*
ok no more of that. what you should be doing is flip him over gently onto his back and hold him there and say no bite or no chew. and don't let him up until he stops struggling. doing that also helps establish dominance. or you can gently hold his muzzle closed and say no bite or no chew. not loud but firm. or i also read that yelping then taking your hands away and ignoring him helps as well, tht behavior mimicks their littermates behavior.... but no tapping on the tushy or shouting loudly you don't want to make him afraid of you. oh and also redirecting his chewing to soemthing that he is allowed to chew on like his toys or a nylabone...

also time and consitensy. you will have to do it over and over again, and have everyone do the same thing with him. patience. he's just a puppy that doesn't know any better yet.

#6 ·
Please dont shout as dogs do not understand this especially his name i know its hard but you should never shout his name in an angry tone , basically because you have had him earlier than desired for this breed he is lacking the ability with biting as this is what the mom and littermates would be teaching him at this time, I wpould try timeouts , whenever he does it pick him up and put him in another room just for a few mins he will soon get the idea :wave:

#7 ·
ozzysmom said:
Please dont shout as dogs do not understand this especially his name i know its hard but you should never shout his name in an angry tone , basically because you have had him earlier than desired for this breed he is lacking the ability with biting as this is what the mom and littermates would be teaching him at this time, I wpould try timeouts , whenever he does it pick him up and put him in another room just for a few mins he will soon get the idea :wave:

time outs worked for my pitbull.. duh why didn't i remember that! but they say never ever use his crate as a time out (not sure if you are crate training) that is supposed to be a positive place, not a negative. whenver freeze would start his biting i'd pick him up and put him in the corner and i'd say no bite, go to your spot. after awhile i would say no bite go to your spot and he would go, tail between his legs and looking sad as anything! i used it whenever he did anything that wasn't acceptable (taking the tv remote right in front of me, barking excessivley ect...)

#11 ·
you can gently hold his muzzle closed and say no bite or no chew. not loud but firm. or i also read that yelping then taking your hands away and ignoring him helps as well, tht behavior mimicks their littermates behavior.... but no tapping on the tushy or shouting loudly you don't want to make him afraid of you. oh and also redirecting his chewing to something that he is allowed to chew on like his toys or a nylabone...

also time and consitensy. you will have to do it over and over again, and have everyone do the same thing with him. patience. he's just a puppy that doesn't know any better yet.[/quote]

#12 ·
Thank you all so much for your advice. I have been trying out different things and the one that works great is when he bites me I yelp as if i was his mummy and if he does it again I yelp again and get louder and louder likes hes really hurting me then he looks at me all sad and starts to lick my hand. I didn't think it would work but it works great. I have plenty of hard chewsa and things for him. His fav is his wee plastic chewy shoe so I hold that for him sometimes to if he bites and it also works a treat

He slept so well in this paly pen last night, it was great. I also heard him bark for the first time they other day, because he was so excited playing with one of his toys he would bark, soooo cute

Thanks again
*Vicky*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.