Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am wondering if I haven't ruined my little chi boy. You see, I got him and He was on Purina, but he wasn't eating it and I think the breeder tried to intentionally make him small. I switched to Cesar tray foods and he loved them. Then suddenly he stopped eating them. I started giving him home made food, such as baked chicken and veggies. Then, I tried to get him to eat dog food and he refuses. I bought the Chicken Soup brand dog food in the can and he ate that pretty good, but I had to mix in pieces of baked chicken. I now have the Chicken Soup brand dry food b/c it is cheaper and easier to store as well as better for him. Wouldn't you know it, he won't eat it. I'm worried about his hypoglycemia levels/blood sugar, so I end up giving him chicken. I know that is not very nutrient enriched. Do any of you have this problem? Do you use a vitamin supplement? Have I created a dog that will be finicky? I read that switching often could cause serious problems. He isn't sick and I'm wondering does anyone else feed their chi's fresh food that you cook yourself instead of buying dog food and if so what is a recipe to feed a chi everyday or is their a book or web link I could go to?

I would appreciate all the info you have to offer,
Anna

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind, I found a wonderful web link from here. Also, Little Buddy is eating his dry now. I came up with my own recipe:

~ Chi Bites ~

Ingredients:

1. 1/4 cup Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul dry food
2. Strips of Baked Chicken
3. 1/4 cup or less Chicken Broth
4. 1 slice of your dog's favorite cheese
5. optional: carrots
6. optional: multi-vitamin (though with the dry food, probably don't need it)

Directions: Blend 1-4 in blender. Add #5 as side item to help clean teeth.

What do you all think? He ate half of it up and loved watching me make it for him. LOL. He may be spoiled, but I don't mind.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
aww bless him, glad you found some info, i know my cats can be quite picky.
that recipe sounds great, dog food does provide an easy way to meet your dogs nutritional needs but i think its great to feed them homecooked aswell, our vet used to marvel over how healthy our gsd was, who was fed alot on a homecooked diet her teeth were strong and white and her coat full and shiny.
lol and why is it none of us can seem to resist spoiling our chis?? lol
mia
x

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mia,

Yeah, I'm leaning to the homecooked too. Right now, though, since he's 6 months, I like incorporating dry just to be on the safe side that he is getting all he needs. Plus, 1/4 cup really isn't that much. Since I measured it out, I could tell I had been trying to give him too much, lol. Terrible huh?

:) Anna

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Hi Anna,

if your little man is only 6 months he should still be on a good quality puppy food and should not have fresh chicken as it does not aid with the bone development in a growing puppy.

does he appear to be growing ok, how heavy is he ?

Do ceaser do a puppy food ?

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ozzysmom,

Hi there. He is 4lbs and he appears fine. However, now, I'm having trouble again. For the life of me, I cannot get him to eat his dry food or canned food. What do I do? Has anyone else had this problem? I know the dry would aid in his growth, but he'll rarely eat it. In the beginning he was getting fed Cesar brand tray dog food, though, I stopped feeding him it when learning about what is in dog food. I am worried though about him not getting enough nutrients if he eats homecooked meals.

You see, this is what he does: He'll eat dry plain one minute and then not the next. He'll go all day without eating, sometimes more. I don't know how the food could be that awful. I researched the Chicken Soup brand and I really felt that would be the best for him. It'll get really costly if I got to try various brands, you know? And, I'm definately not made of cash. Don't get me wrong though, I love my little buddy, so I'd buy what I felt would keep him around the longest no questions.

Please help me,

Anna

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
The difference with dogs is that they dont mind eating the same thing twice a day every day they are different to humans , what you have done is feed him as if he is a human and give him lots of thing =s to taste and now he thinks well im a bit fed up of this if I dont eat it she will try me on something else, this is neither good for you or their digestive system, I would just get him an all round good quality tin of puppy food, I dont know if you are in the Uk or USA but in the uk , I tried my puppy on pedigree for puppys and he hated it , he loves asdas own tin of puppy food called Hero and I give him bakers dry puppy food and I mix the 2 together and he absolutely loves it.

You really need to pick one food and stick to it and just mix in mixer or dry and then they are getting two varieties and a different texture. If he stops eating let him, he is an animal however we are all guilty of babying them especially our precious chi babies, He will eventually eat when he is hungry an animal does not have the mental capacity to starve itself it will eat what is required to sustain itself , if you just offer 2-3 small meals a day and leave them down for a while if he doesnt eat throw it away and start again at the next meal time.

sorry to waffle so much, but I was exactly the same as you when Ozzy went through a faze of not eating , i tried him on absolutely everything.

anyway good luck

you can email me if you like

its : [email protected]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ozzysmom,

Okay, I hear you. Just enforce the dog food until he eats it, right? I just wanted him to eat b/c I was worried, but I knew he needed to eat dog food. Well, thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chi boy ruined? Food question

Anna, you are right to be concerned.
Home-made food is fine, but canned dogfood should never be used.
Chicken is always good.
Chi's need some dry or crunchy food that is good for their teeth,as Chis are prone to getting tartar build up on their teeth. I feed my boy, Prince, only ScienceDiet Adult Small bites. He loves it, and has rarely been a finicky eater. Yes, you must be aware of his blood suger as Chi's are prone to hypo-glycemia. You really should ask your Vet what he/she recommends and stick with it, especially if your liitle guy is a finicky eater. Remember that dogs don't have to have something different everyday.
Keep us posted.

William
& Prince the 5 lb loudmouth
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Kemo is fussy sometimes and it is very frustrating but it's true eventually they eat. Kemo waits now until we finish dinner before he eats his....YES my fault we give him scraps but he like the veggies etc. I figure its not so bad cause I only give him the better stuff most of he time. I feed him Natural Balance which I think is very good like Chicken Soup. The thing natural balance has is a dog food roll (like a semi moist) that you can chop, grate etc and I put that on top of Kemo's dry in the morning. At night he gets canned mixed w/yogurt and his vitamins etc.
But don't worry about your baby......when Kemo won't eat his dinner I wrap it up and give it to him later or in the morning. He never wins the battle. I cut him off too when he does this, from treats etc. One hungry dog does not fuss so much.
Sounds like you have battle of the wills.... :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wprien,

Thank you for your post. I see a lot of people are against the canned food and rightfully so as it's not good for them.

Kemo's mamma,

The pics of your chi are just precious! I want to cut him off from treats and scraps too, but you know how family members are and they are always slipping him stuff, esp. my father, who will deny he does. Tisk Tisk. And Little Buddy is mainly my mother's dog b/c I gave him to her, but I love him too. I have health problems and since I got him as a puppy I wasn't ready to take care of him and my mother had to. The breeder let him go to early and he was a biter, which really frustrated me.

UPDATE:

Little Buddy is no longer getting the recipe posted here. I'm feeding him Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul dry with some hot water added to soften it and he loves it that way. I think his teeth bother him. And yes he still holds out thinking he's going to get something better like human food, but I resist.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Anna

You will know what is best. Sounds like you made a good choice. Every dog is different. Kemo says thanks for the compliment :) . My family/friends are always feeding him, no matter what I say. I have to get mean sometimes. They don't realize there are things that can kill a dog......people need to respect others wishes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Kemo's mamma,

I agree about "one hungry dog does not fuss so much". Tino wasn't eating the Purina dry food his breeder sent home with me, so I mixed a little meat in... he ate that at first, then stopped, so I mixed a little more meat in... which he loved... but it messed with his digestive system (ewww, not fun to clean off the floor!) so I'm sticking with the dry food (better for teeth, anyway :rr: I put him in his pen to go potty today, left the room, and when I came back he was happily munching away at the dry food... until it was gone! Woohoo!

A battle of the wills, yep... looks like I won :wink: Who's the leader of the pack now!! :cat: [/b]

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
valentino said:
Kemo's mamma,

I agree about "one hungry dog does not fuss so much". Tino wasn't eating the Purina dry food his breeder sent home with me, so I mixed a little meat in... he ate that at first, then stopped, so I mixed a little more meat in... which he loved... but it messed with his digestive system (ewww, not fun to clean off the floor!) so I'm sticking with the dry food (better for teeth, anyway :rr: I put him in his pen to go potty today, left the room, and when I came back he was happily munching away at the dry food... until it was gone! Woohoo!

A battle of the wills, yep... looks like I won :wink: Who's the leader of the pack now!! :cat: [/b]
Your pupper is ADORABLE!! So sweet that lil face!! Way to go pack leader :wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Eating Habits

My Peanut is so picky. She will eat one type of food for a whole month and then suddenly stop. I finally found one that has shown some good results...NutroMax for Puppies. She is 8 months old, but I have tried several different types. I used to mix the can with the dry but all she would eat though would be the can, so now she is only on dry. But she won't eat it as much what can I do to help her eat? Celeste

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Re: Eating Habits

cdenise1122 said:
My Peanut is so picky. She will eat one type of food for a whole month and then suddenly stop. I finally found one that has shown some good results...NutroMax for Puppies. She is 8 months old, but I have tried several different types. I used to mix the can with the dry but all she would eat though would be the can, so now she is only on dry. But she won't eat it as much what can I do to help her eat? Celeste
Well why not vary the diet?.....give the dry during the day and the can at night, or soften the dry w/a little water. As I stated in my post when Kemo was fussing I took the suggestion of adding the Natural Balance dog food rolls and grating it on top. He eats the dry now. Dry is not his favorite believe me. I am debating on stopping it all together. As far as keeping his teeth clean he has every dental assisstant out there and I actually heard a flip version to eating dry...........that the pieces can get lodged under the gums causing problems. It makes sense to me. Some dry is too hard for him to eat.........like Natural Balance as much as I endorse their products I can't use that. He had no problem w/Eukanuba puppy but the adult version is harder for him to eat. I know it's frustrating. Maybe some suggestions I mentioned may work. I would not be so stuck on dry if it's just not working for you. I know alot of people will say I am wrong. But you can keep your dogs teeth clean in other ways. Kemo will eat a biscuit in a sec too so he gets crunches there. Let me know what happens!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
HMMMMMMMMMM. I say why not feed regular food if He likes it. All you have to do is make sure he gets a nice balance just like regular kids need good nutrition. When I only had one dog i always fed this way and found it made him VERY healthy and VERY strong with the most glorious silky shiney coat. It also was very cost efficiant since there was always leftovers hanging around after meals from my kids. I also added a bit of Olive oil and glucosimine everyday!!! OK not really glucosamine but the doggie brand that is just like glucosimine.

Now I have a few Chi's and find people feeding id just too much with so many, but I do buy a high quality dog food. I use Natural Recipe Puppy . Now before anybody zaps me.. I know they had a problem a few years ago and that was fixed so now I trust the food even more because the company is constantly being watched to make sure they don't screw up again.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Everyone is going to have their own opinions about what to feed your little fur baby. All I am going to add is to make sure to have a tube of NUTICAL or a bottle of KYRO SYRUP on hand for when your little one gets fussy and doesn't want to eat you can pop some of that into the mouth to keep thier blood sugar up.

Good luck! Sooner or later he will get hungry and decide to eat what you put infront of him.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, I've got to say, in my experience it does help if you don't start feeding a dog leftovers or canned food by itself. Dogs aren't quite as bad as cats, but they will easily get picky if you show them there's a possibility of something that they like more. Of course, though, some dogs are just pickier by nature.

Puck gets Nutro Lamb & Rice Puppy food. It's thin, with a little hole in the middle, so his baby teeth could crunch it up just as well as his bigger teeth now.

I started adding the ...what do you call it?... oh yeah, Vita Gravy. He gets that almost every day stirred in with his dry food. And occasionally I mix in a little bit of canned food. I stir it up really well, too. I figure that dry food must be...well, dry. He eats it whether he gets something special in it or not...consistency really does help.

And we didn't ever feed him table scraps until recently. If he is good during dinner and doesn't bother us, I will put a scrap of something in his food bowl like a piece of leftover chicken.

It seems to work pretty well, though he will occasionally try to sneak food off of a plate, he knows that he will only get people food when the people are finished, if then.

My breeder told me a story, however, about a girl she knew who got a purebred scottish terrier, I believe. The dog, from the time she got him, refused to eat dog food and would, in fact, break out in a rash if fed many things. She ended up having to feed him home-cooked meals of lamb broiled until very soft, rice, carrots, and a vitamin. Weird, but she and her vet made sure that the dog got all the nutrients he needed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts