Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to put my chi in a car seat in front seat or middle bench seat in my van with a wheelchair lift?

Jennie Cocoasmama

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper sits up front with me, buckled into the passenger seat. But he also rides in a kennel, so his "seat" is a lot safer. I don't know about the other kinds of car seats though. :scratch:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
chiwi rides in her car seat in the front passenger seat. i'm working on a way to make it into a split leash buckle so i can have jumba and chiwi ride there. i'd hate to have one left out and in the back seat....

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
luv4mygirls said:
chiwi rides in her car seat in the front passenger seat. i'm working on a way to make it into a split leash buckle so i can have jumba and chiwi ride there. i'd hate to have one left out and in the back seat....
LOL get a station wagon so they can sit in the back and make funny faces at the people behind you. :lol:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Cooper said:
luv4mygirls said:
LOL get a station wagon so they can sit in the back and make funny faces at the people behind you. :lol:

eeew i couldn't drive one of those... maybe an suv gas guzzler hehe but no wagon!

·
Registered
210 Posts
oh no

I am a bad mommie, My chis ride where ever they want. Dewey likes the back window. He looks like one of those bobble head chi's. Dan usually rides in drivers lap. Sometimes they sit in pasenger seat. I strap my Boxer in. THE SEAT BELT THRU HER HARNESS. She thinks she is a chi at 14 wks and 24 pounds she thinks she can ride in your lap. I dont think so.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
LuvMyChi said:
Rachael Polachek said:
If your chi is unrestrained in some way, it could easily become a flying object if you ever had an accident. Think of what that could do to a tiny chi head. :shock:
That is SUCH a scary thought! :(
There was a dog I had looked at when I first started searching (before Lily, before Gracie). She was some sort of mix, very small, but she just wasn't the right dog for me. I took a pass and kept looking. I found out a couple months later that she'd been in someone's car, sitting on the passenger seat, when the driver had to brake very suddenly. The dog hit the dashboard and died instantly. That story has haunted me ever since I heard it and it still gives me chills. These little guys are so fragile. :cry:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
personally i think having an unrestrained pet of anykind in the car is as stupid as letting your kid crawl round the car unrestrained while your moving.
did you know in a crash at speeds of 30mph a body of ANY kind becomes a projectile with a force of 30 times its weight. thats right folks a car crash at 30mph would KILL your dog just from an impact alone.
also having any animal free in the car is also a distraction to the driver. you cant react as quickly if you have an animal or anythign in your lap.

the SAFEST place for ANY PET is in a carseat a car harness or a crate
as much as it seems a nice idea to spoil them and let them sit where they want its much better to have a safe chi than an accident waiting to happen.

vixie rides in a carseat in the front passanger seat,
she wears her harness and is clipped to the seat.
at first i let her ride just on the seat however she tried to see out of the window and was too short. so i got a plastic storage basket, lined it with sherpa fleece and put a think but comfy cusion in the bottom. I attatched nylon webbing to the basket so it could hang over the headrest of the carseat. thread the seatbelt through the slots in the basket to secure it completly to the seat. i also got a clip and made a loop out of nylon which slides onto the seatbelt in the part inside the seat. this then clips to vixies harness.
when i get my scond chi the seat is strong/big enough for 2 and ill just get a large coupler so i can clip both in. it hangs right at window height and i know shes clipped in safe and not getting in my way/distracting me while im driving.
and the way i made the seat you can remove the seat easily or if you have someone in the passenger seat who doesnt want to hold the dog, you just loop the nylon strap ovet the headrest with the basket on the back of the seat so they can still be safe see out of the window and be almost as close to you as they were in the front.

(solution for having 2 in the carseats is to stop by your local petstore they have leash couplers so you can walk 2 dogs at once, they also work great for clipping in 2 dogs in the carseat.)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You must have read my mind, too, because I was just gonna ask for a pic! I love the idea! It's really great! KUDOS!
I have been looking at car seats online and in pet stores and they just seem waaaayyy too expensive. Of course, it's always a small price to pay for your pet's safety, but I still wondered if there were any great alternatives out there! :D

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
not a prob ill get a picture tomorrow morning and post it for ya.
im actually kind of debating making them and putting them on ebay to see how they do...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper in his "car seat" - this was taken while the car was stopped... if we're moving, he's laying down and the top is closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts