Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice for a 6 month old pup who crys everytime we leave his sight. We have had him for 3 months now, and live in an apartment. Therefore since the beginning we have had to take him with us most places so that his crying would not bother any neighbors, aside from the fact that he's small enough to carry anyplace. Since we've gotten him, for the most part he's always cried or panics when he cannot see us. We were told by the vet he would grow out of this behavior, so we have continued to bring him with us everyplace we go that he can be. His behavior has not changed and I fear perhaps we have only encouraged this crying behavior by spoiling him and taking him everywhere we go. We have recently been leaving him home for longer periods of time and more often, as we have grown tired of having to worry about where we can and cannot go while having a dog with us. Is there anyone who can offer some decent advice on the best way to discourage any future crying from our pup.

ps. I'm aware that he see's us as his "pack" and therefore has a sense of feeling that he must be with us all day, everyday. But the vet said he would grow up, and grow out of this behavior. Have we just not given him enough time?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny thing about crate training with our pup... He was going good for a little bit, but then he started going to the bathroom in it. I know what your going to say.. the crate was too big, on the contrary, it was a crate from petco specially for "small dogs" chi's in particular. He had only enough room to stand up, and switch positions while sleeping. Since he started going to the bathroom in it he obviously won't sleep in it. On top of that he's grown considerably from 1.5 pounds to 3.8 in the 3 months we've had him, and I think he's probably uncomfortable in there.. But thats a whole other issue, we have a bed for him, that he occasionally goes to the bathroom in, its small so we don't know why he's doing it (I have my suspicions) but after we clean the bed he's happy to sleep in there again. I'm more concerned with the crying issue though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses, but the fact is that he liked being in his crate when we first got it for him. He would go and sleep in there no problem (with the door open). But then one day (and we were home all day with him) he went to the bathroom in it. And that is disheartening for several reasons, the first being that we had been training him on "piddle pads" and he was going on them. The second thing, I know dogs naturally do not want to go to the bathroom in the same place they sleep. I'm confindent I know the problem with that issue. See, he has several options of sleeping quarters. He sleeps in the bed with us at night, due to the fact that he will cry all night if he's not in bed with us, he also has a little bed that we bought for him our first day with him, he also has a hole he hops into underneath the couch (no matter how many times we sew it he opens it up again). So I'm thinking he has too many places he likes to sleep, and he began pooping in his crate just to show us that he doesnt like it. I could be way off, and maybe we started off training him the wrong way from the beginning. As far as the heated bottle thing, yeah that worked when we first got him, Chewie's since decided thats not good enough for him. The little brat. Aside from that issue, we're much more concerned with him crying everytime he can't see us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts