Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest fear is that a hawk ir a turkey vulcher will pick one of my two up and fly away. I am nit in the country (DC Metro) but there is a large park a mile away. I never let my two out without me there even though the bassets keep an eye out too.

What are your fears?

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I live in the woods also, have saw bears, cougars, eagles, deer and coyottes in my yard. I had a eagle try to get my little Roxy I was right there and was able to grab her but she was bleeding from talon marks on her side. I don't know how she got away. I did loose her tragically to 2 coyottes who cornered her, Both my daughter and I were right there but they were so fast. We were screaming and I chased them into the woods. They took her so fast they didn't "shake" her first so she was screaming too. I still have nightmares about it. It was 130 in the afternoon. That is why I use pee pads and Zoey never goes outside without being on a very short leash. So I understand your fear and don't blame you. My fear for her now is that she will get so excited when someone comes to visit that she will jump on the couch and fall off the back.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Oh Zoey's mom that is so horrible.. :(

My biggest fears are mostly for Izzie. She is pretty small, 3.8 lbs, and very thin framed and dainty, and I worry about her getting stepped on. Bella is 2x her size and much thicker boned. Also when we go to dog parks Izzie getting stepped on by bigger dogs (hasn't been yet). Also, for both the girls, them getting sick or getting into something that will cause an obstruction or something. Izzie was VERY sick at about 5 months old. I didn't think she was going to make it, it could have been Parvo, we aren't sure. Either way, it was a horrible experience. I fear either of them getting that sick again.. :(

We live in an upstairs apartment and only use pee pads right now. Plus, we don't live in an area where there are hawks or coyotes or anything.. so fortunately those fears don't apply to me right now.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Oh how terifying for you zoeys mom, I fear the same thing. We have eagles, hawks, owls, muskrats and a pit but next door that the owners don't do anything with. I also fear that they will get hit by a car that these same neighbors speed up and down the road with. When they are outside I am there with them to make sure they do not go running.g into the road. But they are pretty good about not doing that, unless a kid walks by and Guillermo being so friendly and will go with anybody and wants to be everybody's friend, little stinker!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I fear the Hawks, Owls, foxes, and other animals we live by a very wooded area. Also her getting stepped on. Other dogs we usually have some stray dogs running around and our neighbors dogs aren't leashed. Rocki is always leashed to the runner and Daisy is on a leash attached to my hand. I always go out with her and thats why I'm trying to train her to use the pee pad but shes bent on going outside, which is going to be hell on her in winter when the snow could possibly be as tall as her.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Zoey's mom - I am so sorry! That must have been awful. I don't remember reading your story before but I may have because the first week we had Paco I dreamed that a bird was trying to fly away with him and I was holding the leash and screaming and crying. We live in a wooded rural area too. I always am with him when he is outside. If we hear a bird when we are out I always tell him -see, that is why you have to stay with Mommy!
I'm glad you have your pretty little Zoey now! She is a sweetheart!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Oh Zoey's mom that is so horrible.. :(

My biggest fears are mostly for Izzie. She is pretty small, 3.8 lbs, and very thin framed and dainty, and I worry about her getting stepped on.
My town does these First Night Out events, basically it's a ton of people
gathered down town and there are live bands, and vendors of all types. The
last one I went to, I saw this lady walking her Chi on a leash and the Chi was
smaller than Mimi at 4 pounds, and I was freaking out because she was walking
her through these huge crowds of people like it was nothing! I was so
scared someone was going to STEP ON HER!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
My biggest fear is that he will get attacked by a big dog. :( That's why we don't go to dog parks. (Even though I think he would absolutely love it.) He almost got attacked by a group of 3 loose golden retrievers who came charging down the street and narrowly escaped. Since then I have been afraid that he will get snatched by a big dog.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
For me its other dogs. In the UK we dont really have any predators big enough to take a Chi (except foxes in some areas) but I do worry when they are in the park or field that they might be attacked. I try not to let it show though coz I want them to be able to behave like normal dogs as much as possible.
If there was a possibility of them being attacked by wildlife though I would def revise their off lead priveleges..:(

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
my fears are everyday that i will wake up and find tillie gone or dead , everytime i take her out i think something or someone is going to kill her and when i leave her at home i think i will come home to find her killed , im scared about her being spayed i think shes going to die , i think im just permently scared im going to lose her :(

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My biggest fear is that another big dog will hurt one of them or a large bird swoop down and get them (lots of owls around here). I walk them with harnesses because they use to try to get out of their collars when another dog would be around so i put the harnesses on them. Getting loose and getting hit by a car would be devastating as well.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hawks, owls, foxes, coyotes . . . even when Finn is in a hiking pouch on my chest, the hawks swoop overhead to check him out. My Chis' "yard" is pathetic--a 4-foot high X-pen under the deck, where I stand while they do their business. I want to put up a totally enclosed area for them someday.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I wondered if I was the only one. I let mine run free with my two bassets in a 6ft privacy fence otherwise they are on leashes. My eyes are always in the sky.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Zoey's mom, I'm very sorry about what happened, my heart goes out to you. Hugs.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
You know girls, it's strange but I don't have any fears.
I understand that there are potential risks, so I take precautions,
but I do not fear different possible horrible scenarios. I just do my
best to keep my dogs happy, healthy and safe. Even though I am
very careful and watchful, I still had my share of scary situations,
yet they did not scar me. Life happens even when we do everything
to prevent bad things. Best we can do is take precautions, but nothing
is guaranteed, therefore living with fears won't do anyone any good.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Zoey's mom I am so sorry!

I really do not have any fears with Jaxx. I just try to protect him the best way I can. After he was attacked by two dogs I was worried for a while but I just pay attention to our surroundings when we are out and pay close attention to him. I have gotten good at picking Jaxx up really fast. We saw the two dogs that attacked him this morning and they made a bee line for Jaxx but before they could get to him he was in my arms. I think Jaxx has some type of scent that makes bigger dogs want to go after him.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.