Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good food that i can get my Chi on. Right now she is on natures instinct. No grain diet. However I was told that because she is such a small dog she needs something w/ carbs in it especially now that she has been diagnosed w. CDA. I was wondering if any one knew of a good CHi food thats high in protein, fatty acids and carbs. That is not going to break the bank> thank you :tongue9:

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
orijen....acana...wellness...what else? lol theres so many other ones with high protein but i believe in too much protein is bad for them...thats just my opinion though :) natures instinct, i think u meant natures variety ^^ looks to me ur already on high protein "Crude Protein (min): 42.0%" for the chicken kibble one. has ur chi been havin any issues with the food?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No its somethning instinct, im not sure. Its like $17 a bag. And no problems w/ the food, before she was diagnosed w/ CDA, they thought it was a food allergy, like to the wheat or something, so we switched her to an all protein food. But now that she has been diagnosed w/ the CDA they say thats not a good thing that she needs to be on something w/ grain in it cause of the carbs. So im trying to find something thats top shelf that is good. I treat my animals like their my human kids.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nichole why are you awake lol... I thought i was the only night owl. thanks vet has perscription food but im using that as a last resort

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
You could try Fromm, they have a few varieties that contain grains. They are a great private company that has never had a recall.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is a dry food better for chi or a wet food. I dont like to give my animals to many canned foods because i like them to get their source of water from exsactly that water. and canned foods usualy have entirely way to much fat in them.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
You could try Fromm, they have a few varieties that contain grains. They are a great private company that has never had a recall.
FROMM puppy is the food KC was on at the breeder's place. the first thing i noticed was her fishy breath~ just to warn u :lol:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Acana's Singles line has steel cut oats in them and they have two formulas: duck with pears and lamb with apples. If I was wanting to feed Brew something with grains in it, I would definitely go that route. I absolutely love Acana because of the quality of their ingredients and B loves Acana, too :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all. i have all these animals needing special foods. One for intestine issues one w/ urinary issues and now one w/ coat issues, and a few others who dont have any food issues who eat everything in their site.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Lacey was having food issues with every grain-free brand in major retailers (between refusing to eat it, losing weight, being itchy, losing hair, etc.). She had been eating Blue Buffalo Freedom, and started losing patches of her hair and a lot of weight. A couple weeks on Grasslands, and she was gaining weight, her coat was growing and improving. After a couple months eating it, she is up 3/4 of a pound and her coat is softer and longer than it's ever been!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Here it is. You are feeding her 5 start food!
Nature's Variety Instinct Dry Dog Food | Review and Rating

There are many other brands avlabile tho if you don't like that for her. I have NEVER heard anyone say grain is good for your dog. I am interested to see ther responses.

The other food I feed Chloe is called primal. I get it at Al's it is dehydrated raw. Some times I just break it up for Chloe and sometimes I am a little water and make it moist. It is also a 5 star raw brand.... So it has no grain.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Just because a food is 'grain free' doesn't mean that it doesn't have carbohydrates. Most of the grain free has berries, carrots, potatoes, barley etc in it. Usually it doesn't have any grains in it. Read the labels!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I would not recommend grain as a source of carbs. Acana's grain free formulas have potatoes in them which are a much better source of carbs. Grains are just fillers for dogs. They get nothing out of them and many are allergic. I recommend Acana for its great quality and for its awesome price. I believe a 5lb bag in the US is around $20 and that will last you a long time. Gemma gets just a bit less than two tablespoons twice per day (less than 1/4 cup total) and that is plenty for her. You do not need to feed much at all since it is so nutrient dense. So Gemma's daily intake is no more than 35g and there are 2265g in a bag. 2265 divided by 35 is 64 days worth of food. That's less than $10 a month in the US (it's a bit more expensive to buy here in Sweden). That's really cheap for such quality nutrition.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
All dry dog foods have carbs. Carbs are necessary to manufacture dry dog food. What varies is the source of those carbs and the percentage of the food they make up. Nature's Instinct is a very high protein food. I would do some research on the dietary needs of dogs with CDA and if a lower protein, higher carb diet is suggested, I would go with Acana or Fromm.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My guy loves his acana. I switch up all the grain free varieties from bag to bag to give him some variety. His poops are small and very firm and his coat is uper shiny!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts