Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bella has been getting car sick. They used to ride in a crate together on the floor behind the passenger seat. About 3 separate times (out of a LOT) I found throw up in the crate. I didn't know who it was because they were both in there together.

Well now they are in a new car seat, where they can look out the window and stuff. I have taken them for a ride 3 times now, and Bella has thrown up once each time. And I had fed her pretty recently before we left, so it wasn't digested yet.

I feel so bad for her, and I don't know what I can do to make it better, or to help. Would the window down help, or make it worse? Is there anything I can give her? She does great with car rides, no issues at all, she sits great, loves looking out the window, and sleeping in the seat. Besides not feeding her soon before we leave, I dunno what else to do..?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine gets car sick too, and I haven't found a way to stop it. Luckily I don't drive so he isn't in a car very often. When I brought him home from the breeders he was on my lap and he puked all over me, bless him. He even gets motion sickness when I carry him in his crate to the vet!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sometimes not feeding before a trip will help. My Polly drools like mad when we go for car rides. I just always make sure I have plenty of napkins handy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Priscila gets car sick, I started to take her out just for a very short trip, that is picking my son up from school, or just go to the local shop and pick some milk up, and gradually she gets less and less sickness and she is okay now. I always have a company sitting next to me, and I also find letting the dogs sit in the front, in the car seat raise up just to see outside, as well as leaving a little gap of window open helps. I don't have to do this anymore but it takes a few months before Priscilla is okay. I still take a towel out in case she gets car sick but so far so good.

I have asked my vet for advise, he said it's the smell in the car (same as the plane?) but they could grow out of the car sickness, same as little children.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Tabitha had terrible motion sickness when I first brought her home. Gradually,
over the past 2 years she seems to have outgrown it :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts