Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 7 week old male puppy and he's my first Chi so I'm trying to find out all I can about this particular breed. He's a short-haired Chi, in case you may be wondering.

I'd like to know more about grooming.

How many times should he be bathed? Do I need to use shampoo & conditioner (obviously dog brand, not for humans)? Do I need to brush him regularly? What 'tools' should I invest in as I don't have anything at the moment. I've only had him for 2 days!
Do I need to check his ears regularly too? His eyes? Can you recommend any products that you use? :confused:

Would appreciate any feedback.

xxx

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

7 weeks is a bit early for you to have him.. they should stay with their mums til 12 weeks (10 weeks top!) Some have got theirs at 8 weeks which is the earliest but not recommended by any Chihuahua Breed Clubs.

Anyway they don't need bathing often, just when they get smelly or dirty.. depending on what you feed your dog will depend on how stinky he gets (not taking into account they love to roll in foxes poo)

You need a brush.. just a normal brush for short hair. Treat him like you would a normal dog he is a dog.. check him everytime he's been out in the grass for fleas, ticks etc, check his ears, eyes feet etc. You don't have tyo brush him regularly to make him look nice but short coats shed more than long coiats so you may want to brush him regularly to get the shedding down!

You don't only check them for problems you need to get him use to being handled everywhere meaning, eyes, ears, teeth (brush his teeth a few times a week), inbetween pads, nails (they will need cutting fortnightly - monthly)

I use John Paul Pet Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner but i have long coats.

I clean my girls ears aswell.. not daisy's as lotus does it for me ha ha but i use surgical spirit on cotton wall and just wipe inside her ears

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick reply Daisydoo! :)

I know.... He's very little & I just want to make sure that I do everything right for him. I've never had a Chihuahua before. My parents have a yorkshire terrier mongrel who's very small (and very old now) but obviously its not the same and I want to give Jax the very best that I can!

I'll be making a note of all your tips/suggestions.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I have 3 smooth coats and tbh I dont really need to do much with them. They have a bath every 1-2 months unless they have found something really stinky to roll in. I occasionly brush them if they are shedding alot. Nails are usually done once a month or regular walks should keep them down. I wipe round their eyes as and when they need it same with their ears. I dont clean teeth as they have lots of chews and bone to keep them clean and sparkling!

I prob wouldnt bath him just yet though as hes very young and as its quite cold outside he might struggle to stay warm. Give him a month or so, so he grows a bit.

Hope that helps.

O and pics please!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply Rachel!

I've only had Jax for 2 days. My husband is currently watching 'Sons of Anarchy' which is a TV series that's on at the moment & we named him after the main character as we thought it sounded pretty cool & it was nice & short too! It was either that or Louie... But Louie kept reminding me about the X Factor judge (UK TV show) & I don't like him one bit hahaha

I've taken a few photos of him but I haven't uploaded them to my computer just yet but I hope to do this over the weekend so will post one on my profile or use it as a signature for future posts.

Jax is very little & sleeps quite a bit. Today he's been a lot more energetic, eaten all his food & is now even playing with his toys :hello1: I'm delighted!

Can you let me know what you use to clean his eyes? Do you just use a clean damp cloth, special dog wipes or something else?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been on different websites as unfortunately, there is a lack of pet supply stores in my area. I've noticed that a lot of dog owners recommend a product called a FURminator for grooming but there are no reviews from Chi owners.

Would I need this product for Jax's coat or would it be better if I purchased a grooming glove... Or something called a slicker brush? :confused:

Jax is a smooth coat.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Welcome DeeDee! Honestly, I don't brush my dogs at all. They get bathed about once every 6 weeks (they don't need it even then) and their short coats are beautiful and full and glossy with no other care. They are on a superior food and that does more for their coats than any amount of bathing or brushing.

Tango has a tendency to have rust-colored staining around his eyes (and it's obvious, because of his color.) I use a product called Eye Envy, which is all natural and is applied topically, and that gets rid of accumulated staining plus is a preventive. I don't do anything with their ears other than wipe them out after they're bathed. They don't accumulate any junk and I've never needed to use Q-Tips or anything like that. They stay remarkably clean, maybe because they stand upright? Dunno, but I'm glad I don't have to dig around in there.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The FURminator is more for dogs and cats with a heavy undercoat , it pulls the undercoat out , i wouldn't use it on my girl but i would use it on my 2 scruffy dogs and also on my cats in saying that though it would come in handy if they were shedding :).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice Tink & sugarbaby!

I really appreciate everyone who's taking the time to answer my endless questions but I'm so new to this! I just want to make sure I give Jax the very best and as I've never owned a Chi before I want to make sure that I get all the right information.

I haven't given him a bath yet, as he's only 8 weeks old & very clean but I want to have everything at hand for when he gets a bit stinky!

The Eye Envy sounds like a good product to get! Thanks for that recommendation. Jax is a light tan colour and the area below his eyes go a bit dark brown because of the tears and I don't want them to get all stained.

·
Registered
644 Posts
what i find really useful to have on hand are fragrance free baby wipes.
i use them on the dogs feet just before bed every night, i don't want gruppy paws on my sheets :)
cool, boiled water and cotton wool pads are what i use to give their eyes a clean (use a new pad for each eye) and the same for each ear.
they get baths only if they're stinky and preferably when the weather is hot.
i have the smallest Furminator for Diefie as he has a double coat and sheds like crazy, it only gets used after he's had a bath and i use it very gently on him so as not to drag or scratch his skin.
i have a babies brush for Stottie and Atticus.
a rub of plain old vaseline goes on their pads weekly (daily in winter if the roads have been salted/gritted).
also, a damp face cloth is great for a quick freshen up and helps to whisk away loose fur when they're shedding and my dogs think it's a great, back scratchy treat.
can't wait to see pics of little Jax. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your reply Ember ;)

The baby wipes sound very handy. I'll make sure I get some of those as I'm not keen on dirty paws on my bed either!

I took a few photos of Jax over the weekend but I still haven't got a really decent one of him. He won't sit still!

Perhaps it'd be easier if I took one of him sleeping... He sleeps A LOT so I reckon that would be simple to capture. He looks so vunerable when he's sleeping... Ahhh I'm a softie! He's going to be such a mummy's boy! hahahaha :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
you're welcome :)
the baby wipes are also handy for wiping poopy bottoms too - who'd have thought that hey?
i keep a pack on my bedside cabinet, one in the car (great for cleaning up after Stottie when he's travel sick) and one in the kitchen (useful for wiping up puppy puddles).

i know what you mean about trying to get a decent photo. my new baby Atticus is a live wire too. i've had a hard time getting a photo of her face but patience won the day.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I actually own a FURminator, and I use it on Honey, Right now we are moving from spring to summer. Honey is shedding and leaving her black hairs everywhere! I have used it on her twice, and it got her undercoat out, and all the loose hairs on top. Its fantastic :) She has hardly dropped a hair since!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for replying angelbaby & Ember ;)

It seems that some Chi's shed quite a bit whilst others are just OK with a bath every 6 weeks... Hmmm....

I think I will wait until Jax is a bit bigger and determine what his coat is like & how much he will shed before I start buying any grooming brushes. Think that's the best bet as he's too little now & I haven't got a clue if he has an undercoat or not!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts