Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are very interested in buying a chi, but we have a large dog (black lab) what do you all think? Would the bigger dog be a problem? And we also have 2 cats. The cats are mostly outside..but do come in. We just don't know wether getting a chi is a good idea with a large dog and 2 cats.

Thanks! any replies would be great!

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I don't have another dog but I do have 3 cats. I would say that if you get a chi just make sure you watch him/her around your cats. The cats can really injure the doggies eyeballs.

My grandma has a chi and a couple larger dogs and my sister has a chi-mix and has a pitbull. In both of those cases they all get along really well. I would say to just make sure you watch your chi really well. You have to kinda watch them well whether you have other animals or not. :)

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I think there are a few people on this board that have large dogs also.
Black Labs are usually pretty good natured, I would think it would be ok as long as you are able to watch them.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I have an 11 week old chihuahua and 2 cats. My cats are both declawed so they can't hurt him. 1 of the cats stays away from him and my other cat thinks he's the best toy ever. They run around and play all the time.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
We have a yellow female Labrador puppy who is nine months old. She and our 12 year old mix-breed live in our fenced back yard. They have dog houses, a large pecan tree for shade and a shop built on piers, which they can (and do)! sleep under.

Inside we have a 3 year old declawed female cat and 6 month old Tucker. At first our cat was intimidated by our 1.2 pound Chi! It was too funny! :lol: A 15-20 pound cat running from such a tiny dog! (Of course he's grown and weighs 5.2 pounds now). After a couple of months our cat began to 'play' with Tucker. :) Whenever she's had enough of him, she jumps up on something that he can't reach.

Tucker doesn't go outside to potty----he uses potty pads inside, so he's never played with our other two dogs. Labradors are gentle by nature, but when playing, can be innocently rough. A Chi puppy could be squished in short order, even with good supervision. I've heard of this happening, and the Chi wound up with a broken leg and went to live with a new owner.

So I guess it just depends on each individual's situation---and the age of the bigger dogs. If they are past the puppy stage, I wouldn't be as concerned about bringing a Chi into the family. :)

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
if your lab is used to other dogs and the chi will be a puppy i dont think you will have a problem mine get on great with my cat although the cat hates them.............hee hee and the dogs love plaging him :wave:

·
Registered
135 Posts
We had a pit~shar pei x and he deferred to our chi all the time. Yoshi would bark him away all the time. Our pit would even move aside and let Yoshi eat his food because he doesn't like his own and when he was done go back and finish!

Our cat who is twice the weight and size of Yoshi plays with him all the time. He is declawed and Yoshi and he chase each other and wrestle all over the house.Yoshi likes to run up and bite Caspers' butt and Casper will pin Yoshi down and they both squeal. They are the best playmates and funnier than any sitcom. :lol:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have two bigger dogs and a cat. We have a jack russell X staff? and a border collie X staff. They only play with me chi they can get rough but if it gets too much the jack russell protects her. She holds her own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts