Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 and a half month chihuahua that I leave home alone. My husband and I both work during the day and she is in her pin. When we get home at around 6p we get her out and play with her. Then she is back in the pin at night. I just want to know if she is getting a quality life being in the pin? At what point can I let her roam free in the house? I hate leaving her in the pin for so long and I don't want her to end up being mischivious when she grows up because she's been cooped up for so long.
Please let me know what I have to do. I spoke with a co-worker and she thinks that I need to give her to a good home where she can have more contact with people. I would hate to have to give her up cuz we both love her so much but I really am thinking of her well being and I want to do what is best for her.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think that you know best yourself if she is having a quality life :confused1: If you don't think so, you should re home her
-or what about getting her a chihuahua Friend??
:wave:
good luck!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually we live in a one bedroom that doesn't allow dogs, but we have managed to keep her without anyone knowing. She doesn't bark so she really doesn't make much noise. We are going to buy a house here in the next month or so.
Honestly, I think she is pretty happy. She's not depressed or anything. She is so excited when I get home and she is just so happy when we are together. She's always playing and being silly so I don't see her being depressed at all. I just want to make sure it's not cruel to leave her in her pin for so long. I think I will put her in the kitchen and block it off so she can have more room to run and play.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I block Kemo off in the kitchen--he sleeps while we are out. I got another dog for that reason to keep him company and he is not alone more than 7-7.5 hours.

Chi's are social critters so they do thrive on company. I would make sure you spend as much time with her as possible. Is her pen in your bedroom at night that might help her feel she is with her "pack" :wave:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, that's a good idea about her pin being in the same room. Right now it's in the living room. As we only have a bedroom and the living and dining room are connected. There isn't much space in the bedroom, but I'm sure I can make room. I'd like her to sleep with us once she's potty trained. She loves to snuggle up to me at night. I let her once or twice and she loved it.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
We dont have alot of room either but we made it..........we rent a house apt. I think they like being with us, even if in a crate or pen. :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
She may not bark yet at 3 and a half months but you wait till she is about 6 months - she will start - what will you do then ?

How many hours is she left alone ?

Mine are left for a maximum of 8 hours and that is usually only two or three times a week if I am on early as when Im on lates its only 4 hours - also they both have the run of lounge and kitchen lots of toys and most importantll they have each other :D

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
You said you are moving soon, so I would think it would be ok if after you move you give her a little more room like Kemo's Mama said confine her to the kitchen. Then take her in your room at night.
Untill you move give her as much attention as you can.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I usually have her out at night from 6p to 10:30 or so. Then she is back in the playpen. When I take her to the bed she just wants to play so I have to confine her so we can get some sleep. But she doesn't whine much, just a little and then sleeps. She wakes up at 7am and I take her out so she can stretch her legs and play until I have to go to work. My husband leaves at 9a so she is out until then. Again back in the pen until we come home.
Thank you guys for your input.
After talking to other people, I'm getting the same response. They say I should have her in a home that has kids or someone that is around much more than we are so she can have more attention. Then some people are like, she's just a dog so just let her deal with it and she will be ok. But I want her to have love and attention for more than a few hours a day. She just gets sooo crazy when we get home, cuz she's so lonely.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
You could always get a second puppy to keep her company while you are gone. 2 is not really harder than 1.
And since you are going through the potty training any way you wouldn't be starting over with the second one.
Just make sure you get 1 close to her age.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Most people have to work and can not stay home with their puppies 24/7. It sounds like she has a nice life to me. I think it would be a shame for you to give her up just because you aren't home for her as much as you would like. Maybe get another to keep her company?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, like I said we are in an apartment that doesn't allow dogs anyway so getting another puppy right now would not be in the picture at all. We are looking to buy a house soon though. But I don't think I would like another chi. Not right now anyway.
For those who have just one dog, what do you do if you want to go out on the weekends? You can't take your dog with you to restaurants or if you are going out with friends. Do you find someone to petsit or just leave it home alone? I am just riddled with guilt when we have to leave her home alone on the weekend when we go out. It's enough we leave her alone during the day. On the weekends, I feel like I should be home with her. If I take her to my friends house, she's just all over the place and she isn't potty trained yet. So it's just too much to take her anywhere but the park. She just recently got most of her shots.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Well, Maybe you should ask yourself what you really want.
Is your social life so busy that you don't have time to spend more time with her?
If so, do you want to change your social life so you do have more time for her or do you want to keep your social life the way it is?
If you only go out once in a while, then there really shouldn't be a problem.
If you go out a lot and want to keep it that way then maybe this isn't the time in your life to have a pet.
I'm sure you love her, but if you are really that busy don't make her suffer, love her enough to let her have a chance for a happy fulfilled life of her own even if it means giving her up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dazey is alone from 6 in the morning until 5 in the afternoon. She stays in a pen in my bedroom during the day. I let her out as soon as I get home and she tears all over the house. I have never crated her at night. She has slept with me from the first day I got her and only had one accident. My bed is very high off the floor so she can't jump off by herself so if she needs to use the peepee pad she cries and I wake up and put her on the floor. When she has finished she comes back to the side of the bed and cries for me to pick her up. I love having her sleep with me. She starts out draped around my neck and then ends up completely under the covers snuggled behind my knees. Better than any heating pad or hot water bottle you could find!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I found a potential family. Their chihuahua recently passed away after 14 years. They are 2 grown kids that want her that live with their parents. I'm just so torn. On the one hand, I want Peanut to have a good life and on the other hand she is just so loving and excited when I get home. She's got such a great personality.
Look at that sweet face.
But I think I am doing what is best for her.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
KJsChihuahuas said:
She is beautiful!! I am sure you will make the right decision!
I agree.

From reading your post it sounds like you all ready know what you want to do or maybe I should say what you feel you should do. I know it's tough to make the final decision. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts