Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang!

Need some advice here. I have a 2 yr old rescue chi...she's been with me for a little over a month now and is still very shy around my bf--especially when I am not around.
The thing is - the first few days I had her at home, he and I were on the same footing...in other words, he could pick her up, bring her on the couch/bed, etc.....and so could I.

Well, since then she has decided that I am her favourite and now when he tries to pick her up - she shies away. He can only scratch her a bit under the chin when she is on the floor. (he can pet her though, when I bring her up on the couch...but you can tell she is always looking at me, wanting to be with me instead).

Someone told me -to have him do all the good stuff...feed her, walk her, treats, etc. Which we have tried to do but b/c we do not live together - it isn't all the time. Also, I have been trying to introduce her to a variety of people/place so she overcomes her shyness...and she HAS improved but she is still shy with him, which is weird cuz they see each other almost every day!

Any more tips on how to show Flea that my guy is a good fellah?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well I can just say just keep working with her. Maybe tell your b/f to get on the floor with her at her level and play, maybe his size is alittle much but I think she will be fine you are doing all the right stuff with her. It takes time for her to over come her fears. My chis are always with me no matter what. My husband plays with them too but they always will be where am at all the time. Its a security thing I guess :sunny:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I agree w/ purplegurl about him getting to her level and let him give her treats. I'm sure she'll come around.

·
Registered
549 Posts
At 2 years old she is not going to adjust as fast as a puppy would. Need to give her time, but have the bf keep trying to gain her confidence. And you do not know what kind of a home she came from-maybe men were abusive or non existent??? Just give her time-a month is not long enough.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A friend of mine had that problem with Pekingnese. Her husband just couldn't gain the little girl's love. They put a very, very special food (in this case jarred meat baby food) on his forearm and he laid down on the floor until the puppy came to sniff out the goodie. The trick, she said, was that it was such a special treat that she didn't even give it to the pup. Only her husband. So the only way the pup could get it was to get close to and trust her hubby.

Of course, they are now best friends, but the little one thinks he should have potted meat on his arm everytime she jumps up on him.

I won a feral cat over the same way once. She would go to my husband but not to me so I would dip my fingers in braunschweiger (sp?) and sit very still until she came to me. After a month she would come every time she saw me and be happy with just some hugs. And this was a feral cat so maybe it will work with chis, too?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Everyone has given you excellent advice. It's going to take much more time then a month for her to adjust. Do you know much about her past? I've had experience taming feral cats. Two of my cats were feral and it took a solid year for one of them to finally trust me to lay on my lap. Each animal is different. You're doing all the right things. Keep us posted on your progress. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just a thought here.... does he have a really deep voice? I know some animals tend to shy away from a deep voice. If that is the case have him lower his voice and talk to Flea in a soft calm voice.
I agree about getting down on the floor to play with Flea as well. The treats and other goodies should help. The fact that he does not live with you just means that Flea knows your BF goes home at night and Flea can have you all alone. That one on one does mean alot.
Keep taking Flea out to new places and walks to meet and smell new people, animals, and all kinds of things.

Don't worry, it sounds like you are doing great. If you are able to find out more info on Fleas past the better.

Best of luck,
MD

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Gang!

Hey guys! Thanks for the great advice! Yes, Flea is slowly warming up to him...but it's taking time. The playing on the ground thing is a great idea as are the treats that are exclusive to Scott (greenies are her fave). We have also decided that when we are on the couch (she always comes to me to pick her up)....HE will be the 'elevator'...not me. And I think it's working!

Unfortunately, I know nothing about her past except she came from a backyard breeder, has had 2 litters by c-sec. and is used to living w/ small dogs. Howev,er we have discovered she IS afraid of anyone who wears a hood...which I'm sure stems from something in her past. Perhaps the person who took the puppies from her crate was a male with a hood...who knows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts