Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zeus is my first Chi and I've learned one thing about Chi's.. they are STUBBORN! Zeus likes to jump on us and claw our legs (or try to dig in our legs and it hurts). I don't mind it for me or my husband, but he does it to our 2 y/o and sometimes scratches her chest if his nails need to be trimmed. Sometimes he'll come running around the hall and try to jump on my daughter and knocking her down. How can I discipline him to not jump up on us? I've tried the standard "Zeus, no jump" and he goes about his merry way.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I'm interested to see what responses you get! Bosco hasn't learned to jump on US yet but he will jump and scratch the sofa when we are sitting on it or jump up and down like a mexican jumping bean if something is on the coffee table he wants. :roll: I just say Bosco NO and pull him away from wherever he is and he just runs back to it time and time again.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have 6 chis and they all jump. I have one that does a bounce up and down. But I have taught them to do this. When they are so small they are trying to reach up to you to get attention, and as soon as you pay attention to them you are praising the action. With a small child it is difficult to act-you might try a squirt gun with water and see if you can be accurate in aim-hate to keep squirting the child-but a good squirt of water and a "NO" just might do the trick. Something that would get the attention away from the jump to listen to the "NO",without touching them, because that is what they want. I went to a dog training class, the instructor told us, you have to get the attention before the brain falls out, because once the brain falls out, you are lost. So once they start jumping and you keep saying, No or down, or something-you are paying attention to them and that is just what they want. And the squirt gun will not hurt, just startles and get the attention-but what to do if they like the squirt gun...hmmmm :eek:

·
Registered
67 Posts
:? I tried the squirt gun technique for awhile with one of my chi's because she was jumping up on my 2 yr old and making her cry all the time.. . well it backfired being as how my little girl likes to be squirted. Every time i would squirt at the dog, my little girl thought i was squirting at her and would just laugh and stomp her feet and squeal.... well the dog must have associated being squirted with jumping and making sound (monkey see monkey do) so after about the 3rd time i squirted at them the dog just kept jumping and THEN started yapping..... they were both just having the time of thier lives :roll:

i would LOVE to hear about any other techiniques..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.