Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rescued a chihuahua and she won't stop licking! Not only herself, but myself as well. It's non stop and I was wondering if it's normal chi behavior. Also, if it's not normal, what should I do to keep her from doing so?

-Sammie

·
Registered
686 Posts
Welcome to CP! Not sure what is going on with the licking, but Lupita has been doing it bad for the past 2 weeks. The vet told me that the licking of their feet was a sign of allergies and to keep her bathed. So tomorrow she will get a bath and we will see if.it subsides. Lupita does this time to time, but the last couple of weeks has been really bad. We need to see pictures of your little one. We love pictures!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
If it was just her feet I would agree that it's probably allergies. However, since she's licking herself and you, I would say it may just be a behavior of hers. My dads dog does this. He loves licking peoples skin because he likes the salty taste *yuck*. He's a rescue, so who knows why he does it. But it's a possibility that your chi just likes to lick :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Licking is a way that they relieve stress and it can also be a compulsive behavior. Agree that licking paws can be a sign of food and environmental allergies but repetitive licking and licking people and objects such as pillows and blankets is an emotional response.

The change in her circumstances is likely the cause although I have one who is perfectly established in our home and we have built in a ton of routine for her and this persists although is much better.

So, do your best to keep her, and activity in your household, calm and give her lots of repetition and routine. That is helpful no matter whether it is the changes or if it is just who she is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Our little 13 year old rescue, Elmer,(who we took into our home a year ago this weekend, Happy Birthday Elmer!!) is a compulsive licker. When we let him out of his crate in the morning he is so excited he tries to lick us everywhere for the first 10 minutes! He does it the most when he is excited or nervous. He also gives me a sweet little lick when I pick him up while we are walking or when I tuck him inside my coat when it is cold out to say "Thank's"!
Sue

How do I post pictures to this group? When I go to do that it asks for my picture's url and I don't know what to do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank-you very much, she did have kennel cough but she finished her pills yesterday and is seeming better. We don't know if she has allergies, but she does sneeze when she's outside every now and then. Also, we gave her a bath yesterday. I'll be sure to post some pictures of Sammie :)

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I get licked half to death on a regular basis by my 2, especially Rolo who loves nothing more than pinning you down and having a good old go at your nostrils. Sometimes if I'm really lucky I get 1 chi up each nostril, and Rolo had been known to get so carried away he's made me laugh and then made contact with my teeth! Good job I'm not a germaphobe!
View attachment 23946

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
I get licked half to death on a regular basis by my 2, especially Rolo who loves nothing more than pinning you down and having a good old go at your nostrils. Sometimes if I'm really lucky I get 1 chi up each nostril, and Rolo had been known to get so carried away he's made me laugh and then made contact with my teeth! Good job I'm not a germaphobe!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Haha, that's amazing!! Miki loves to lick and nibble at (and inside) my ears, partly because it makes me squeak and wriggle to get away from him I'm sure, but I'm sure I read that that's normal Chi behaviour somewhere. Still, I thought my monster was the only one who's a fan of the ol' nostril-lick -- good to see I'm not alone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts