Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mikki is only sbout a year and 4 months and she is developing bald spots on her sides. Doctor has taken skin samples and says she has not ticks, fleas or parasites. I cannot figure it out and she is starting to look like a rabid dog. Any suggestions? Should I see a doggie dermo? I've never seen a dog itch herself so much.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
It could be fleas or food allergies, but you need to get a vet to check her out.
Do you have her on Frontline or another flea product?
Did you change her diet recently?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
bald pathces

My grandmas dog did this before and it was allergies to her shampoos. The vet prescribed a shampoo, I am not sure what kind and it cleared up. My grandma has now past so I cant ask her but maybe you should contact a couple of vets in your area and ask what products they have for this condition. My grandmas dog scratched and scratched constantly and never had fleas or parasites.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Definately could be a sensitivity, either food or environmental. Have you started to wash the bedding, toys or other things she comes into contact with in a different detergent or soap. Have you changed doggie shampoo's. Are you bathing to often which can dry-out and irritate the skin? Try switching to a higher grade dog food that doesn't have wheat, corn, oats or any grain fillers. Alot of dogs develop food allergies because of these. You'll have to go through trial and error to figure out what is the problem by eliminating one thing at a time. You may also want to consider putting her on a raw diet to see if that helps.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
My childhood Chi had an allergy to flea larve and he'd lose his hair and itch and scratch like crazy, sometimes to the point of making himself bleed. We had to bathe him with a special shampoo that stunk (he liked it though) but it never got rid of the itching entirely. Of course, this was before all the flea medications came out.

It could be so many different things though ranging from fleas to thyroid disease. I would definitely keep the vet on their toes and get them to find out what the problem is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts