Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told Bailey is 3/4 chihuahua and 1/4 whippet. Wo deter if anyone else has this mix? If so could you post pics? Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't consider her tall but she def has a long neck lol. I think she looks more like a Chi.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Did you happen to see her parents? She looks full chi to me. Many of the 'deer' type chi's (which is not correct according to the standard) are taller with very fine, thin legs and longer muzzles. They also have the tuck up at the waist and the slender features that many think of when they see a whippet or IG.

Brody has that same body type. He is 100% chihuahua. Just not a well bred one. ;)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never saw her parents, I got her from a pet store. I always said I wouldn't do that but when I saw her I just couldn't walk away. She does have the tuck under waist.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Then there is no way to tell if she is a mix or a purebred unless you want to do a DNA profile.

My guess is that the pet store saw that she wasn't the typical chi with the apple head and shorter legs and cobby body (which is specified by our standard) so they probably just labeled her as a mix to explain her longer muzzle, neck, and slender features (which resembles a whippet).

A DNA test might be fun to do though! Then you could know for sure if she was a mix or if she was a purebred chi. ;)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
They run $60-$80 or so depending on the company you use. It is a simple cheek swab (no blood required). You can even pick up a kit at Petsmart.

Edit: Sorry can't get the link to work. Just go to petsmart.com and put in DNA in the search box and it will come up.

If you google dog dna test you can find lots of varieties. Maybe try and find a review site where people rate their experiences with the different tests before you buy one.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If you do one, you'll have to report back!!! Would be fascinating to know for sure!! :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
chi/whippet?

:hello1:it could b a deer head.but,im not a pro n i dont have a dna test handy LOL,the first thing i thought of when i read your post n looked at the pics was that your pup definitely looks like he has a whippets nose.it just seemed alittle bit longer than your average deerhead.could b rong-just an opinion.:confused:heres my youngest baby-4 wks-in action.:Dlet me know if u have any name ideas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts