Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for other similiar experiences and any insights:

Appx a week ago my 12 yr old Chi that is still sharp as a whip and can walk 3 miles started out the blue getting up after 12 am whining and was trying to climb things happening 3 times a night.

I would wake up tired bring her to bed and comfort her holding her but eventually fall asleep only to be awakened again and again.

Needless to say this greatly affects your mental health sleeping so poorly as well as my chi.

There are ZERO behavior issues in the day and no cognitive dysfunction although she has a heart murmur and the associated cough but at healthy weight, eating a prescription diet and can bounce around during the day like a 3 year old.

Not looking for medical advice as I am talking with my Vet and considering another and a Pet Pharmacologist.

Just looking for anybody with similiar experiences and what eventually fixed it for you not that I believe the same thing will work for my chi but can gain some new insight.

Just for information sake she has started taking CBD oil for pets from Hemp from Pet Pharmacy $50 but should last a while.

Melatonin mixed in her 7pm meal, Omega 3 and Probiotics as well.

Also use adaptil diffuser and collar which has helped before with separation anxiety and anxiety of being in new housing

Last night tried prescribed Gabapentin liquid for dogs (no xylitol) at 7pm but had to give a 2nd dose at 1am

Talked it over with Pharmacist and Vet and they say try again as it may take some time to build up in her system.

It did help as the behavior was less pronounced.

Also I decided to make her own bed within eyshot of her pee pad with a night light helping her see it.

Considered turning on lights and wearing my eye cover but I can just tolerate the night light as my eyes are light sensitive.

I'm not working now but have to find a workable solution before I do. I do contract work throughout the year.

I'm looking at Pet sleep meds that stay in the system longer to run past my Vet that are also safe with minimal potential side effects.

Also I've been doing everything to be calm myself as I am aware the pets can pick up off the owners anxieties and react.

At first it did feel hopeless but now hopeful in my persistence in researching and talking with Vets and Pet Pharmacist as well as others that experienced this that a solution will come about which most likely multi-modal.

Working over 20 years in mental health I've learned that patient and care takers experiences along with professional advice is extremely valuable. I suffered from night terrors myself as a kid and know how terrifying it is and the behavior of fear and flight, running and jumping, hitting my head trying to escape.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My little guy would some times wake us up shaking and nervous, running around . It could have been caused by anything from thunder in the distance, doggy nightmares, loud noise from car like popping exhaust, even a flying bug, just depends on what scares them. Even some old age change to their bodys that they notice. Could even be something different about you when your sleeping, maybe its a warning to you to see the Dr.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
She slept last night with the addition of Trazadone with the Gabapentin. Going to find a better Vet too that listens and spends more than 5 minutes with the dog. I had to beg for the Trazadone. No interest in investigating a potential cause mini strokes since it was so abrupt since she has no symptoms of cognitive dysfunction which was his lazy go to without any history taken.

Klonopin is a go to med in the research as well but this Vet won't presribe controlled drugs even though he can and it is indicated. Bad sign when the owner researches more than the Vet.
He has his Cognitive Dysfuntion speech memorized that he recites in monotone with eyes closed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with your assessment of most Vets, its sad that we non vets are not allowed some simple emergency training and tools and supplys to do what is necessary to save our little dogs. And is likely why I lost mine. When searching for such information the same old thing is take your dog to the vet, come on like there is always going to be one handy at all hours and distances. Its really very cruel not to post on line training and allow supply's such as intubation and how to drain fluid from lungs etc. in an emergency.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I found this PET FIRST AID KITS – Kerrville Veterinary Clinic Ltd when looking for cough suppressant as her cough was waking her up in distress later.

I called this Vet half way accross the country in Texas and I was suprised they talked and listened to me and advised. Wow! I thanked them to no end for helping someone in another state. Still I did my research to verify dosing and making sure no xylitol in human formulation and paying attention to mg of dextro rather than ml as they come in different strengths AND one that had no guafinisen as not to increase her heart rate. I asked about drug interactions as well as researching on line.

A lot of work and it helped some.

That's a good idea though. I stick with Vet produced sites and triple verify. There's a lot of info out there fragmented that you have to judge the source. Even then it may miss some important details.

I've moved a lot since birth as a military dependent and Veteran and now a Travel Nurse and I've learned even having a Vet doesn't insure the most effective treatment.

For example this Vet lately had lots of great reviews probably from people that don't research and believe everything he says and does and he is low cost.

At the time I was somewhat desperate as she needed dental surgery and cleaning which he did at a reasonable cost and it helped improve her health but started noticing the little time he'd spend with her on each visit and I had to rush to get info in and ask questionsn to which he just breeze by.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The last vet we used was I would say is the best in the state for being nice. All the rest want you to leave your dog at the door and either leave or wait in your car. My little guy would scream his head off if we did that. And that alone would have did him in. These times sure show who the good vets and bad ones are with that alone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amen to that. In looking for a new Vet I started asking Vet practices if they were still doing that. I found a good Vet that I had seen before for another pet. Real Nice, Spends time and knowledgable (Phd) and they are doing in person visits. May cost a bit more but worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts