Chihuahua People Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I just wanted to ask you guys how you make sure that your chis get enough exercise each day. I've pretty much stopped taking my chi outside for walks because it's rather chilly, but I just feel guilty knowing that my baby is not getting the exercise she needs. I've read that dogs needs at least 40 minutes to an hour of exercise each day (of course this varies from dog to dog). I would greatly appreciate it if you all could share some ideas with me. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Carl hasn't been on walks lately either- I still need to buy boots for him because the snow/ice/salt would be too hard on his poor little paws.

My mom lets him run outside for a few minutes every day and he sprints around the yard to wear off some energy.

You could play fetch! Carl would play fetch for hours! And that's great exercise :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Tamara doesn't go for walks anymore either. It's winter and the snow is too much for her. She hardly wants to go to do her business. So she just runs like a maddog in the house...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my chi Minky does run around the house like a mad dog all the time, and her favorite activity is playing fetch, but I just wasn't sure if that was enough exercise. I've heard over and over how important it is for a dog to be getting daily exercise, but I guess I was thinking that playing fetch indoors wasn't rigorous enough to really consider as exercise. I guess I was wrong. Thanks for your input you guys!! =)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Gizmo does not go outside. I think he's been out once in his four months..touching the ground that is. When we go out and take him he's in someone's arms.
He runs through the house like a mad man everyday so I am thinking he's getting more excerise than me lol. He does laps around the livingroom everytime he is awake, then if I take him upstairs..there's something about my bedroom, he goes wild.doing laps non stop and even on the bed. So yeah even in the bedroom he gets more excerise than me lmao.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I try and walk the dogs daily. We have a little back yard and they chase each other all over the house, up and down the stairs. Some days they miss their walk because of our schedules. I'm getting Chica a parka for the colder weather walks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Get another chi! :p Cocoa keeps Shea on her toes. Shea is pretty lazy so it's a little more of a struggle to get her to exercise enough. Cocoa is one of those mad dogs that runs around the house and yard. I also believe Cocoa is ADD (attention deficit disorder). Not pursay hyper but she just can't lay or sit still for very long without wondering around. I swear Shea would be a lot bigger if we didn't have Cocoa. They both weigh about 6 1/2#'s-7#'s.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i wouldnt worry, chis are perfect "indoor dogs" meaning that they can get more than enough excersize by running round the livingroom like a crazy puppy...
unless you notice weight gain...dont worry!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are right. I guess I was just being a worry-wart as usual. My baby's about 6.5 lbs right now, and the vet didn't say she was overweight when we went in recently for her annual checkup. It's funny chi-momma that you mentioned that you thought your chi has ADD because that's what I say all the time about my baby. She seriously cannot stay still for one second. Well, thanks for all your input you guys!

·
Banned
123 Posts
All dogs need to go out no matter the weather. Mine go out in gail force winds and pooring rain. We take shorter walks if its rainy and windy and a good water proof coat.

My friend in Sweden (north) has up to -30 celcius and still take hers out so you are all ok!

How you wouldnt take your dog out for the whole winter is beyond me!

A good coat and a good pace will keep any dog warm.

So where do you dogs do their biz? In the house?

I have never heard of a dog freeze to death during a walk. So please let your dog be a dog and take them out!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
foxywench said:
i wouldnt worry, chis are perfect "indoor dogs" meaning that they can get more than enough excersize by running round the livingroom like a crazy puppy...
unless you notice weight gain...dont worry!
That's what I've read and heard many times. Thanks for posting this Foxy.

·
Registered
419 Posts
littleone said:
All dogs need to go out no matter the weather. Mine go out in gail force winds and pooring rain. We take shorter walks if its rainy and windy and a good water proof coat.

My friend in Sweden (north) has up to -30 celcius and still take hers out so you are all ok!

How you wouldnt take your dog out for the whole winter is beyond me!

A good coat and a good pace will keep any dog warm.

So where do you dogs do their biz? In the house?

I have never heard of a dog freeze to death during a walk. So please let your dog be a dog and take them out!

As of matter of fact my Gizmo does his biz inside the house, on a pee pad which is cleaned up as soon as he's done. My house doenst smell because of it. There is NO way I would take him out when all he does is shiver out in the cold. He gets plenty of excerise in the house here. I have room for tne chic's to run around. I don't think he's lacking in the excerise dept at all. He runs us ragged.
We have a fenced in year with a in ground pool and IF we took him out I'd be afraid of him crawling under the gate and getting loose, for the money I spent out getting him I dont want to take that chance. So until we figure out how were going to stop him from getting under the gate he will be a inside dog unless out on the leash.

·
Banned
123 Posts
I feel sorry far all dogs who dont get to go outside!!!! Its a dog you got, not a hamster. Its not all about going outside for a pee its sniffing about and seeing things. Scenting etc!

I cant belive some people here dont take their DOGS out!!! Shocked actually! Get your gate sorted so your dog cant escape????

If anyone came to me and wanted to buy a puppy and said they wouldnt take it out, there is no way i would sell them a puppy, maybe a fish but not a DOG!

What are you thinking? Chihuahuas are known for shaking, its not always beacause they are cold. And when they shake its to keep warm! Ifyou keep a fast pace they will soon get warm.

To me this is bordering on animals cruelty!!!!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
littleone, You certainly have a right to your opinion, but to accuse those of us who don't get out a lot with our dogs, (or who possibly are unable to) of cruelty is stepping over the line. I doubt there's a person here who dotes on their babies more than I do. I take them for regular check-ups at the vets and am told consistently that they are very healthy animals. Gee whiz, you don't know what goes on in everyone's lives or what circumstances they may be dealing with, so please don't judge in such a harsh way. I for one take exception to being accused of animal cruelty for pity sake.

·
Banned
123 Posts
If you cant take your dog out for its daily excersise dont get a dog. Get an animal that doesnt need to go out!

If you are unableto take your dog out get someone to help you!

You are all blaming the cold. Please show me one dog that has died due to a daily walk!

What do you with bigger dogs do? Leave them to pee and poo inside as well? All dogs have fur for a reason. To keep them warm.

If its that cold what do you do with your kids? Do they sit inside all winter? Or do you make sure they have warm clothes on?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
If I responded with what's really on my mind with this kind of narrow-minded thinking, I'd be banned and it's not worth it. Suffice it to say that I think your opinions are rude and best kept to yourself.

·
Banned
123 Posts
I'm an animal rights activist and this is surely the forst thing you learn or know when you get a dog!? They go outside!!!

Since when do people sell them as indoor dogs??? Well acyually nothing surprises me these days....

Narrow minded?

Do you know whats narrow minded? Thinking your dog is ok to go inside and never being able to run about outside, sniff other dogs scents etc! Thats narrow minded. To be a human being and think you are doing right by your dog by having inside all day every day and every night! And denying it its naturall instincts!

Im sure you think im rude, thats whats most people think when you tell them something they dont wanna hear!

Im can promise you 1 million dollar pounds whatever that your dog wont die from a walk! I have had mine on the beach today! One even went swimming!! And Im in the NORTH OF EUROPE!

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
i think everyone here loves and cares for their pets and how we all decide to raise them is our own business. not everyone is able to take their dogs out everyday and some do live in very cold areas where the dog might not be very happy about going outside. and no i don't have any stories to show you about dogs freezing to death.

i will say imo your posts littleone do seem argumentative and i ask that you maybe tone it down okay. thanks :wave:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have two chis. One loves to go out and the other only goes out to do her business. When its real cold she won't get off the porch even. I think each dog is different as are people and you have to accept them as they are. It isn't cruel when you love your chi to bend to what they want.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think dogs love to be outside; on Dog Whisperer last night, Cesar said something to the effect of "Dogs like to go out to the outside world and come home just like you do. They shouldn't live their whole lives within 4 walls."

I do feel for those of you with snow on the ground, though. I have a hard time getting Skippy to go outside when its just raining!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.