Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm new and I'm from the UK.

I currently have a blue and white staffordshire bull terrier he's 11 months old and I'm looking to get a Chi.

First off let me say this, the Chi will not be left alone with my Staffy due to him being a big clumsy puppy like all staffs are, I will be there all the time my main question is, how do I introduce them both I obviously want them to be friendly but the closest my Chi would get to my other dog is close I allow her in my arms, cause she won't be leaving them!

And I've made a corner in my room into a dog play pen, so when I sleep she will sleep in there and I've fenced half of my garden off for both dogs. (I have a large back yard)

Does this sound ok? Let me know!

Thanks alot :D

GSB

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I had a Am Staffy and he just loved Zoey ( see them in my siggy) they got along great but I NEVER left them alone. Max would try to play with Zoey and he could do some damage and not even mean to. But he was always so gentle with her. He was trained when in the house he could not get off his big blanket unless asked and we would not leave that blanket and Zoey knew that so she would play with him and run off the blanket and he would stop short at the edge, it was so cute. We lost him in Nov. Miss him so much he was 11 years old. They would sleep together in front of the fire.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Here they are together. I would laways worry when they were running around the yard because Max couldn't stop as fast as Zoey and he could have easliy plowed her over.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Zoeys mum that pic is just adorable.Sorry for your loss,i also have a staffie called toro he is 10years old and is so gentle with my chihuahuas.....

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I lovvvvve Bully breeds I always said if they were legal in Ontario I would have gotten a pit instead of a chi ;p
very precious photos so cute!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have two American Pit Bull Terriers along with my Chihuahuas and they all get along great. I could and have easily left my older boy, Bo, alone with the chihuahuas and Vice would never hurt them either. Vice seems to understand they are much smaller and he plays with them while laying down only. He is just over a year old. Bo is almost 6 and he prefers to just stay out of their way. The only reason Vice has never been left alone with them is because we don't leave him alone at all just because he can be a destructive child when unsupervised.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
A big dog & a Chi can co-exist just fine. HOWEVER anything can happen & I would never ever leave them unattended nor would I leave them where there *could* be a way possible for them to "escape" to reach the other. Before owning a large dog & a Chi you have to take everything into consideration & know there is always a possibility for the "what if" to happen...even if you think you are taking the proper precautions.

I am super sensitive to this subject & I just can't stress enough the risks you take when owning a big & a small dog. One of Mari's puppies went to a home who owned a larger dog. Monte had his own little pen in the kitchen & the family always kept them apart. Long story short, one morning 3 weeks after they brought him home, the husband woke up & found the pup, deceased. He had somehow gotten out of his pen & lets just say it did not end well for little Monte. :(

Whether it be playing or not...accidents happen. It takes one bump to the head by a larger dogs chin/tooth from playing to be potentially fatal. It can take one "nip" from a big dog for it to be fatal for the Chi. One wrong step & it could end up in a serious ingury/broken leg, or it could end up fatal. You just never know so even though there are many many MANY Chi's coexisting happily with big dogs...there is still always a risk that is taken. After what happened to Mari's boy...I'd never own a large dog & a Chi together. The risk is far too great...and is very real when having a large & a small dog.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
A big dog & a Chi can co-exist just fine. HOWEVER anything can happen & I would never ever leave them unattended nor would I leave them where there *could* be a way possible for them to "escape" to reach the other. Before owning a large dog & a Chi you have to take everything into consideration & know there is always a possibility for the "what if" to happen...even if you think you are taking the proper precautions.

I am super sensitive to this subject & I just can't stress enough the risks you take when owning a big & a small dog. One of Mari's puppies went to a home who owned a larger dog. Monte had his own little pen in the kitchen & the family always kept them apart. Long story short, one morning 3 weeks after they brought him home, the husband woke up & found the pup, deceased. He had somehow gotten out of his pen & lets just say it did not end well for little Monte. :(

Whether it be playing or not...accidents happen. It takes one bump to the head by a larger dogs chin/tooth from playing to be potentially fatal. It can take one "nip" from a big dog for it to be fatal for the Chi. One wrong step & it could end up in a serious ingury/broken leg, or it could end up fatal. You just never know so even though there are many many MANY Chi's coexisting happily with big dogs...there is still always a risk that is taken. After what happened to Mari's boy...I'd never own a large dog & a Chi together. The risk is far too great...and is very real when having a large & a small dog.

I 100% understand where you are coming from and fully appreciate what you are saying and the warnings and how they are intended.

However I disagree, at least for me, I feel 110% better knowing that Lincoln and Bijoux are out together during the day while I'm gone. That being said if they are apart and I'm gon e Bijoux is self destructive and also I have 100% faith in Lincoln and know the risks which are just as you say always going to be there.

I would also argue that 2 small dogs can hurt each other, a nip in the wrong spot a head bonk just as you said are still there for 2 small dogs together.

I believe that it is situational, and that each owner must know their dog inside and out, and be 100% aware of the risks. In our situation it is a bigger risk to separate the two.

Just wanted to say that, since i seem to be on the other side of the fence then you in this case : )

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have a pit/lab mix weighing 55 pounds and he is great with the chis. He runs around with then outside with no problem and I have one chi that's under 3 pounds. All the chis are faster than him and are able to get out of his way. He hangs with them all day when not in my daughter's room. I trust him implicitly with the chis, in fact I feel better when he's with them in the backyard and I have to go in the house because I know he would watch out for them. I leave the room and house with all of them together and they do fine.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Some of you may remember we had a little Chi here last year (I think) who lived with other Chi's & a Border Collie. The Collie was great with the Chi's but something happened & the little Chi's head swelled up SOOOO much! She was very lucky that it wasn't a worse outcome--her head went back to normal & there were no lasting effects that I know of. They trusted that dog with their Chi's BUT ACCIDENTS HAPPEN. As long as you know the risks than fine--but I also knew the risks when we had my lab mix go live with my dad & I personally wasn't willing to risk it. This family I was talking about thought they were being 100% safe in their situation.

And I'm sorry but while 2 little dogs *could* hurt each other it would take a LOT more force & different circumstances than a big dog & little dog. LOL

I am simply sharing our story because it's something you don't always think about when having small & big dogs. Sometimes dogs are just dogs & nature takes over. They don't know their own strength & certainly think like dogs...and not humans. If you have a dog whom you is with out a doubt calm & gentle 100% of the time than great. Anything else...I say beware.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here they are together. I would laways worry when they were running around the yard because Max couldn't stop as fast as Zoey and he could have easliy plowed her over.

OMG. I adore pit bulls. I always call Rudy my little pit bull because he looks like one, lol. He's the closest I will ever have to one since, as Moo just mentioned, pit bulls are banned in Ontario. :( Cesar Millan couldn't even bring Junior when he was here. Ridiculous. But I digress. ;)

GREAT photo!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts