Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have Gracie (female chipoo) and Pepe' (male chihuahua). At lunch time I always take them for a walk on the country road in front of my work. If I go west Gracie protests until we get to the turnaround at the top of the hill then she is happy to go back to where I work. Pepe' could care less. He will go through Hades and back with me. If I go East, Gracie likes that as it is flat land (no hill). I wonder what a dog psychologist would say about that?

As to topical flea meds, I noticed this time after putting it on the two dogs that, after a few days I would then begin to pet them. But I would itch all over and my lips would kind of tingle with a nervous kind of vibration. I wonder if it is the flea meds. I have not petted them for a few days and the itching and lip prob. has subsided. I've never experienced this before. Anyone here have?

BTW, the two dogs are fantastic companions to me and each other ;)

Tony

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I don't know what to say about the tingling etc. My vet said not to get that flea/tick medication on me-----"too toxic"!!! I thought, my goodness, what happens to a chihuahua? I put it on for only 30 minutes, then washed it out. Horrid smelling. I'd rather use the pill IF my chi's got fleas.
As for the walk, I can't tell you what she is thinking! Just keep on what you're doing.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Topical flea medications are neurotoxins -- which does explain the tingling. You're not suppose to get it on your skin as it is manufactured to cause the bugs' nervous system to shut down. A nervous system is a nervous system, it will do the same to you if you are exposed to a high enough dose. Always wash your hands after and give the dog at least a few hours before you touch them to make sure that the fluid is dry.

Yes, we are poisoning our pets to keep them bug-free. Why do you think cancer incidence is rising in both pets and people? Give and take, baby, give and take. Vicious cycle.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I don't like the topical flea meds.. I have heard of too many reactions to them. Of course, every dog is different so some flea preventatives might work for them and not for others. I use Comfortis when needed for fleas. I think it is one of the safer flea meds out there. It is still a chemical so there is a potential for problems, but I have heard of far fewer issues with it. It is also the same chemical that is used in pesticides for human food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts