Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chloe LOVES everyone, even complete strangers! My question is "How do your Chi puppies respond to strangers?" I have always heard that most Chihuahuas are cautious when it comes to new people so am wondering how all of yours react. I am happy that she loves everyone and am hoping this behaviour continues but am worrisome that maybe because she is a puppy she has no fear and that it's possible this behavious may change (knock on wood that it doesn't!!). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as always!! :)

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Well, it depends for my dogs. If we are outside walking, they don't really approach strangers. They won't bark or anything, but they are pretty nervous. If they meet someone in our house, they bark when they are at the door (Penny more than Lion) but then will be in their lap within half an hour. I am not sure why the location makes such a difference.

Penny was not afraid of strangers at ALL as a puppy, but now she is pretty shy. If I could do it again, I would socialize her even more than I did. I used to carry her on walks with Lion. I also would have socialized her with other dogs more often.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi my busster loves everyone when he first meets them he stays right by me or my husband then as he knows them he moves around them more never to close but his little tail is wagging looking for a pet from the new person hes meeting i think all chih are real sweethearts when they socialize

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
i think this really depends on how early and how much they were socialized!! Kahlua and Tequila both love strangers and will welcome a pet from anyone. Eleanor and Zoey both take a little warming up. Once they've "met" you though they are just as affectionate as the other two.
I hate the chi's mean to strangers stereotype... they're not all snappy dogs! A well socialized dog just takes more effort initially than people think for smaller dogs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Czar is shy around people that are loud or don't know how to act around a dog. With quiter people, he's much more social and excited to see them. You can tell he has favorites at my mom's work (he goes with her to work everday until he's old enough to stay home by himself during the day).

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I think the key is to allow them to socialize at their own rate. Do not FORCE them. You have to know their signs of stress & remove them from the sitution the second they seemed stressed at all. Saying that...a lot of it has to do where they learned their initial social behaviors. The first 8-12 weeks of life play a huge part of whether they'll be confident dogs or if they'll tend to be more reserved.

Six of my dogs came from the same breeder. All of them have stranger anxiety from one end of the severity level to the other. (their biggest issue is stranger CONTACT...not being around them as none of mine seem to mind being around other people). Lulu came from a completely different breeder. I have learned over the years how not to socialize Chi's using the typical "make them deal with it" approach many trainers will suggest. That only increses their anxiety! With Lulu, we got her at 13 weeks & I've taken her out & about like I have my others. But most of her time was spent in a controlled setting. No people surrounding her & gushing over her. The one time she was in this situation she did get a bit more reserved. At 7mo she love love loves to get out & visit people. She has never met a stranger. Tonight at the pet store where we get our food a man even got on the floor to visit with her. The second he did that she wasn't as "EXCITED" as she was when he was standing (too much focus directed directly toward her I guess) but she walked to him, turned sideways & while he patted her she put her head & tail down until he was finished. Didn't run away or anything but stood there--it was cute. When he was done her tail went back up & she got waggy & happy again. But you can see by that she was completely fine & confident when the attention was on her terms. When it began to see on his she was acceptable, but not as confident.

Anyway, moral of the story LOL the more they socialize on THEIR terms I feel the better it is for them long term. Forcing them to deal with being held by other people I don't do any more...just doesn't work. But getting them out in a "controlled" setting as often as you possibly can will allow them to reach their potential. Of course, these are just my thoughts & findings with my expenence. All of my Chi's were a bit more outgoing when they were younger. Matilda, who has the biggest issue, started showing signs of stranger CONTACT aggression (she LOVES being around people & would never think about approaching someone aggressively) when she was just 11 weeks old. I worked & worked & worked with her the way our trainer suggested & it unfortunately did more harm than good. :( Live & learn. :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Mine vary both in response and situations as to how much contact they like with strangers. Heidi is quite nervy and doesnt really like being stroked, although if she is at home she will be climbing on someones lap within half an hour of meeting them.
Hannah, my Chiweenie, is a lovely calm girl who enjoys meeting people. In fact if she ever disappears whilst down the park you just have to look for the nearest person and she will be climbing on them and rifling through their bags!LOL
Adam is my super friendly Chi.:) He is a total social butterfly and will pull towards every person when walking whilst wagging his tail and trying to get fuss. Ive had several people tell me they never realised chi's could be so friendly after meeting him.
All 3 have the same preferences for people though. They arent that keen on men and the elderly but like women and adore kids and babies. All mine were socialized the same but genetics will still affect their behaviour. Heidi is just a more nervous Chi in general and I dont think she will ever be as comfortable as the other 2.

(just today we meet a group of little girls who were stroking the dogs and getting kisses. Adam was in heaven when one of them picked him up for a proper cuddleLOL):rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts