Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been thinking for a few months of getting a puppy in say 3 or 4 months time, only problem is im worryed about havin to leave it due to work.

I work as a care assistant so my shifts change , but I work nights , however sometimes I need to do days and this would mean my puppy would be left alone for say 4 5 hours or so because my dad will be at work as well.I am 100% sure im committed to getting a puppy and im sure I can provide for it and all its mess and training ha.

Would it be worth getting the puppy looked after by a company or something?I know there are services like that , I just think I would feel bad about it, plus it would cost a fair bit , but I guess that does not matter as a puppy can cost you alot , vet bills , insurance ,food etc.I was thinking maybe If I took all my holidays at once from work when I got the puppy perhaps it would be easyer for me to leave it at home, because he would have spent a month or so at my house.

Can I have some advise guys?I feel like anyone I ask in real life tells me it would be okay while everyone on the internet says they never leave there dog more then 2 hours or something.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I think its jst fine to leave them for a few hours. I got Honey as an adult so I cant really compare her to you getting a puppy, but I can leave her at home for 8 hours, no problem at all.
My last dog Tess, I got her as a puppy! If I had to go out for any amount of time, I would leave her in her puppy pen, leave home at 9am get home at 3pm so thats about 6 hours.
I never has any drama at all!
I always left her with toys, water and food in her pan, and naturally her peepad!
I mean others may think different, but it worked just fine for me with both dogs!

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
when I got Chico at 12 weeks... I had off from work 2 weeks vacation... Me and him played for 2 weeks but then I had to leave him to return to work... I am gone long hours during the weekday but he also has a Manchestire Terrier as his buddy all day and they have their own room to play in during the day. Chico has been fine with the arrangement but I think having a 'freind' in there with him all day helps alot...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Pedro was an adult when we got him, but Gracie was a pup (still is!).

She stays in her crate 4-6 hours a day while I work, and has since we got her. She's completely house trained now (Yippie!!!), but I still don't trust her to let her run loose in the house with Pedro. I'm afraid she'll chew into an electrical cord or something to hurt herself. (She doesn't always show really good judgement at this point - she's 6 months, so she's still pretty silly at times.)

You can do it!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Yes you can do it!!! Prada lives with my bf she is left at home 8 hrs a day and she's just fine! She's left to run free but is 2 1/2 my bf will never crate her he just doesn't agree with it but I dont think there's anything wring with it especially while housebreaking.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I am fortunate enough to work for a Vet/Doggie Daycare where I can take my dogs to work with me. They love it, especially Ziva my min pin she loves to play. Zoey just hangs out in my grooming area in an exercise pen during the day. My dogs are litterbox trained which makes it easier if I do have to leave them home sometimes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You'll hear that alot, but I used to work and have had puppies that did just fine. I would use a little bit larger crate, so I could put a puppy pad down and a bowl with some dry food and a bowl with a couple of ice cubes and a small amount of water (the ice cubes are harder to spill and will melt throughout the day). In my experience, the puppies would use the pad the first day or two (until they got used to my routine), and then would hold it until I got home. I always thought working an 8hr day was way too long to leave them, but they had no problems at all. I just made sure to spend a lot of time with them when I was home. I'm home now, so I no longer have to worry about it, but it worked for me in the past. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts