Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, my 4 month old Chi Winnie just discovered the cat box, I have to gate the door to keep her away from it. So grossed out! Just brushed her teeth with my finger, anyone fixed this problem??????

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Unfortunately, dogs seem oddly attracted to cat poo and kitty litter. Kitty litter is dangerous to dogs, so be careful. When we had a cat, we put a gate up to keep the dogs out of the cats area. Other than that, supervise her constantly. But it really becomes about blocking her access.

·
Registered
864 Posts
There are litter boxes with holes in the top, they sometimes help, if you're dog's not a jumper (or, if you're crafty you can cut a hole in the lid of a rubbermaid container -- that's pretty much all they are anyway-- and glue carpet around the hole to help with controlling the litter spread).

Otherwise the only thing I've ever seen to work is putting the litterbox up where the cat can get to it, but the dog can't. On a table or shelf.

I actually just spent a few hours looking at litter boxes for the exact same reason -- we'll be getting 2 kittens in the coming weeks here (my bff rescues litters from her mom's farm as they're trying to cfr the barn cats -- she's up to 25 in her own home now, and has decided that is her limit. Crazy cat lady, indeed!). A lot of the concepts are really great... for keeping out big dogs. Unfortunately no one seems to think about the dogs that are smaller than the cats! :foxes15:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Our siamese cat, Jazzie, has her own 'bathroom'. Her crate (without door) is in there, her food is on the sink counter, and her pot. The litter pan is placed right at the opening of the door, and we have a stiff wire that keeps the door open so that just the cat can get in. She jumps on top of the litter box. Chi's can't get in. Unfortunately the dogs LOVE cat poop. Some people have kept the litter box on top of a shelf, or something like the washer or dryer?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'll have my husband build something to get it out of her reach, she's only going to be about 5lbs, her small size is in my favor

·
Registered
719 Posts
I read somewhere that dogs like cat poo because cat food is higher in protein and that cats require 9 diff amino acids to break down the proteins and that if they are missing even 1 or more amino acids the protein passes without being absorbed and so therefore dogs like to eat it. I definitley feel you, my apart has lots of cats roaming around pooing where ever in the grass and woodchips and everytime tiny and penny go potty outside i have to keep an eye on both of em, it got so bad that tiny has to be on a leash for every potty. I hate it! Wen they eat cat poo! I tell them that y would they eat cat poo when they are fed good quality foods! Lol. Goodluck!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
We got a cat box that had a top to it and a cat flap on the front ,don't know if you're uk Pets at home sell them

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She is eating a very healthy organic pet/puppy blend but I know she'll eat that poop anyway! At least she's not eating her own :-/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts