Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
ive seen multiple chis doing agility, a small number doing obedience, i saw one during a flyball competition doing and wonderfully too!

ive even met chis that do "freestyle" (canine obedience dance style) and met a small pack of 3 chis who contended in earth dog trails and did very well too.

·
Registered
563 Posts
one of merlins grown up puppies does agility and hes really good at it!!! once i get back home im going to enroll merlin aswell, i think he'd do really well!! hes REALLY fast and agile :p ....ill probly end up trying something else with dave-he doesnt seem like he'd excell at agility-but ill let him try anyways :)

heres the link to cowboys agility pics :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cowboy_and_roxy/

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
foxywench said:
ive seen multiple chis doing agility, a small number doing obedience, i saw one during a flyball competition doing and wonderfully too!
That's interesting :D I'd love to get Yoshi into flyball because she loooooooves to retreive. It's one of her favorite things. I didn't think she'd be able to do it though because I don't see how a chi could get a tennis ball in their mouth o_O A tennis ball is bigger than Yoshi's head, lol. How did they do it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
To answer Krista's question, I read a Chi book from the library recently and it featured a long coat rescue Chi who excelled at flyball with his new owner. It detailed the steps taken to train him (eg retrieve, jump, retrieve and jump and finally pounce on the springboard - that was apparently the tricky bit). The flyball equipment needs to be modified for a Chi (they use a much smaller 'cat' tennis ball and a springboard that responds to a light dog pouncing on it).

I also know a woman near me who has trained her 2 Chis in the backyard with agility (one does the whole circuit fantastically and the other does one obstacle and then stops for a treat) :)

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Miss Helena answered it, they competed in the "toy breed division" under 10lbs, the ball was a small sized tennis ball (cat sized) and the jumps were slightly lower and the triggerboard was made to respond to less weight.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I've never seen a chi in any of those. I bet it'd be really cute though! I want to get Gracie into agility. I'm just torn between paying the money for Sammie to do it or for Gracie! Its a great way to burn at least a little bit of Sammie's energy! But I think it'd be really cute watching Gracie! I'm thinking about putting Sammie in another class & just working with Gracie at home. She doesn't really listen to me yet anyways! I can't imagine taking her out in public off-leash with other dogs! LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts