Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to share .... Just got back from taking my four kidlets to the Vet, only 2 had to be seen, but took all 4 just incase she was feeling kindly & wanted to check the others for anything.

New girl had to be immunised and Ollie needed his double set of teeth looked at (being removed tomorrow, they "forgot" to do them when he was neutered, and anal glands expressed on the 2.

As a consequence of their "forgetting", they're doing the op, anaesthesia & $90 credit (one tooth only grrr) for free which amazed me. I got the impression she was pretty darn annoyed at the Vet who didn't take them out during his neuter as I had requested it on all x 3 who were done.

So, this Vet is a Holistic Vet who actually promotes raw diet and adding all sorts of stuff such as spirulina, psyllum (Sp?) bla bla bla.

She appeared to be very impressed with the reasons I put up about no kennel cough immun. for us tyvm, and even more impressed when I said I'd be going with Titers instead of their 3rd needle and several other things that came up in discussion that I was able to pre-empt or raise - all thanks to CP info :)

I was in there for ages when all of a sudden she blew me away ... "Chihuahua's have never been my favorite breed (said with a screwed up nose & contorted face .... read "I hate the yappy, snappy, snarly, snivelling, drivelling, shaking little rats") but you know, I've been watching yours and am very impressed. I've been looking out for a playmate for my medium sized dog and yours are exceptional .. they're so well trained and well behaved, I don't supppose you've got one to give away (this was a joke, she knows they're my life)".

I said, "Hell no, but I'll get you one of these from my bestest back yard breeder, condition it my way and bring it to you at 5 months, how's that, and I'll never have to pay another vet bill again :)" She said, "You're ON!!!" and we laughed, me nervously.

I spent ages in Reception both before and after going in because of all the interruptions. Turns out the Assistant is her daughter and out of the blue she said almost exactly what her mother said about their behaviour because they had all sat or laid down quietly despite the manic boxer 2' away from them, not a single shiver or simper from any of them.

Then, blow me down, she says .... "Hmm, I've never liked them but after seeing these I think mum should get one, she's been looking for another dog ... if only there were more like these ...." I just stood and blinked "like these?", what, they're dogs, just normal dogs?

Three other young Chinese Vets came out and went absolutely nutso over them, cuddling them & cooing at them, especially the new girl who's finally reached 1.4kg at 5 months. I love having an all women Vet surgery, it's heaven!

Now, not to blow our bags too much, but this is the SECOND Vet who's said this to me, the first being a cranky old Professor from the Veterinary University, so you can imagine how many Chi's he's ever dealt with over the years .... only he didn't ask if he could have one of mine, lol.

There's not a feeling like it in the world when somone tells you that your dog/s has/have changed their mind about Chis, but it's tenfold when it's a Vet.

Oops, another bleeding novel, that's what happens when you're a 90wpm typist, you just can't help yourself, sorry :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you for posting! Congrats on your Chi's behavior! I was just thinking about this. If I had a quarter for everyone who has asked (either to my face or I've heard second hand behind my back) "She has a young child, why on Earth would you get a Chihuahua?" I could post pic's of my 5 year old with my Chi and they are so sweet together. Chloe is not a fear biter at all. Although being a rescue she is a bit timid until she knows you. She barks when someone knocks and then stops when she sees that they are welcome. Then she just wants to be petted. She does not "yap" all day as many people assume. Sometimes I think they have a worse rap than pitbulls! lol!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
The doggy day are said Toby was the best chi they had ever seen! And he challenges stereotypes at vets and pet supply stores too! He truly is a breed ambassador.

I think that most of the Chis on here are raised right- that's really what it comes down to. The ankle biting, yappy, obnoxious ones are not properly socialized or trained much of the time. Of course, there are many with that type of personality too- my mom's chi Rocky can be like that. But with training and socializing, they can end up to be just as great as the golden retriever down the street. So many people on CP have amazing little Chis that are not the stereotype.

I loveee reading stories like this!

What are your Chis names again? Ollie and.... And are ever getting pictures? LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahah the pictures ...umm yeah, the latest excuse is I'm charging the batteries :) I'm the world's worst photograph and won't put up anything that's the least bit out of focus or not quite right.

I wonder where my nagging Aussie mate got to, she was desperately waiting for photos and we should have some more of Winnie too - c'mon the Aussie contingent, get it together!!!!

Thing is with this Chis is that I've really done nothing at all that I wouldn't do with my giant breeds, except the very rare occasion they've deserved a smack on the a$$ it's been more of a love tap lol but it sure as heck pulls them up instantly.

So glad Midge is having absolutely no reaction to her shot, she's herding the 3 others up and it's zoomies time right now with her being Hagar the Horrible whilst all 3 are pretending to tear her limb from limb.

Hahaha the "If you get another dog we're leaving town", He Who Must Not Be Obeyed Ex comes in every night and his cuddle times with them is getting longer and longer. I think he may actually be willing to start walking with them soon. He absolutely adores Bella & Midge and was most indignant when I told him the Vet wanted one of "his" pack.

I must put their names on my siggy, it's Oliver (Ollie), Chiko (as in Chiko Roll a snack food we have over here, like a giant commercial Dim Sim that someone has bastardised well & truly), Bella & Midge (the nickname given to my late P.A. in memory of her).

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I also beleive it is how they are trained not the breed. I can not take credit for the calm well behaved dog Lady is since I got her as an adult but everyone comments on how she defies the stereotype of the breed........yes, even my vet!

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
My vet is amazed at my two also! She gets excited when she sees them on her list as she can not believe how good they are. BG is still more cautious and will cry out with a shot. She is a Diva but Sonny says bring it on I got this!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
It's because people have this 'they're not a real dog' idea that I've seen a few people on here talk about. People let them get away with things they would never let a bigger dog get away with. Or, like I've been told several times...they're too cute to take for a walk, you should carry them. Or they're too small to walk very far. ...Mylo has loads of energy. If I didn't walk him he'd be hyper, bighty and naughty because his energy would have built up. I can tell the difference immediately on days when he doesn't get to go out for a walk and in the same way there's a HUGE difference in his behaviour when he's had 2 long walks or we've taken him out for 3 or 4 hours.

My sister told me not to get a chihuahua because they're yappy, snappy little ankle nighties and that my childhood chi was one of a kind. Well, she met Mylo yesterday and now both of her kids want one and she said what a great personality he has and that's he's even more friendly than our chi Poppy was.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Chihuahuas seem to unfortunately have a bad reputation in vets offices. From my experience they can be a bit difficult to work in a medical-setting but a lot of other dogs can be as well. A technician once told me she loved chihuahuas and was thinking of getting one, however she doesn't like to work with them as patients.

Gotta love those chis that break the stereotype.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ha! My vet seemed to be confused on how to deal with him and kept exclaiming how small he was. Lol he's 7.5 lbs, not a small chi at all. She had no clue how to deal with him and obviously the experience wasn't the best. She actually referred to him as a cat at one point. Obviously won't be going back to that vet! Stupid preconceived notions. Good on your chi's Aussielass!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Aww thats a great story :) I can just imagine your little pack in the Vets being angels! :)

Honey is my little angel, although i've got to be honest, she is yappy and snappy to others at times! Still doing lots of training with her, so hopefully, one day in the not too distant future, she will be cool, calm and collected! :)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rach, I have no doubt in a pack situation, 3 or more, they are a lot, lot calmer, less fearful, a lot happier within themselves and it's almost like their thinking, fear, joy is spread out across all of them to even the load if that makes sense. I honestly think it makes for much more laid, back calm dogs that require a lot less effort from their human pack leader :)

Went & picked him up today, so 2 days in a row at the vet, he had 10 teeth removed & I got an email from the Vet herself midway thru the day, thanking me for clarifying ZiwiPeak is not irradiate (as are most USA foods) and she is therefore looking forward to carrying it, informing me he was doing really well and had not left the lap of her daughter/receptionist for his every waking moment .... dropped him off at 8am picked him up at 4pm & both the Vet & daughter are committed to getting one from my kids' breeder of 3 of mine, so that's pretty spesh :) Oh, and I got a $160 discount & she mixed up a holistic naturopathic oil for my breeder to rub into her poor swollen arthritic hands as a gift.

All in all another lovely day at the vets. Hahaha the receptionist asked me to drop in for a visit whenever I was going past, you don't have to have the Chi's with you, just pop in - how unusual is that, I'm as happy as a little pig in mud.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Chihuahuas seem to unfortunately have a bad reputation in vets offices. From my experience they can be a bit difficult to work in a medical-setting but a lot of other dogs can be as well. A technician once told me she loved chihuahuas and was thinking of getting one, however she doesn't like to work with them as patients.

Gotta love those chis that break the stereotype.
When we went the vet for Mylo's second vaccine the vet got out a thermometer and I though 'uh oh...he's not going to like this' ...didn't even flinch. Then she gave him his needle and not a peep out of him. I went into the reception and one of the veterinary nurses asked if everything was ok because she didn't hear any noise from him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts