Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually wen I've walked my girls so far if we see other dogs they are on leads and/or at a fair enough distance from my two. Today on our walk though was the 1st time a dog came right up to them, I always keep Sugar and Spice on leads just incase and a big black lab off leash ran right up to us. Keeping in mind it never actually touched either Sugar or Spice, just got close and face to face, well Sugar panicked! She started yelping as if it was attacking her, but I swear it wasn't even touching her! I was kind of embarrassed, she was screeching and running around me, wrapping me up in her lead, while the labs owners stared at me. U would swear by the noise of Sugar that she was being attacked.

Does any one else's chis ever do this? She is a nervy dog in general so is it normal enough for nervy chis to react like this?

·
Registered
382 Posts
My girl is pretty nervy too. She does not like being approached by bigger dogs at all. Does Sugar ever interact with bigger dogs? Exposure may help. I left my Chi at a house with a few bigger dogs while I was away a few months ago. She was incredibly uncomfortable with them at first, but she got along fine in the end. She's still a bit skittish when meeting bigger new dogs, but I think she's improved greatly since being exposed to them.

That being said, that dog should NOT have been running up to you off leash. Very irresponsible of the owner to let that happen.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My girl is pretty nervy too. She does not like being approached by bigger dogs at all. Does Sugar ever interact with bigger dogs? Exposure may help. I left my Chi at a house with a few bigger dogs while I was away a few months ago. She was incredibly uncomfortable with them at first, but she got along fine in the end. She's still a bit skittish when meeting bigger new dogs, but I think she's improved greatly since being exposed to them.

That being said, that dog should NOT have been running up to you off leash. Very irresponsible of the owner to let that happen.
Thanks for ur reply!

No actually, now I think of it she's only really been around other chihuahuas, she's seen big dogs at a distance, passed them on walks, but never had one as close to her as the one today. I will have to try get some big breeds around on play dates and to go for walks with us.

Ye I always think that its good dog walking manners to put ur dog on its lead wen u see others dogs and especially wen the other dogs are on their leads.
Luckily the dog wasn't aggressive, but if he had been it wud hav been a horrible situation as Sugar was terrified as it was and the owners were too far away to act quick enough. They looked at me as if I had no business walking such small dogs and made me feel embarrassed which I know I shouldn't have.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby freaks out and does the scream of death when Lilly tries to play with him because she scares him due to her size. She is only 35 pounds, I can't imagine if she were bigger. I think it's a self preservation thing. They see themselves as likely prey for a bigger animal... so they want to protect themselves. Being a nervous breed to begin with, that can translate to panic. I don't know though. Toby has been exposed to dogs of all sizes and as long as they keep their distance they are fine. But if they try to play with him, he panics.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Had this happen with a Beagle yesterday. Daisy does the chi scream of death, but because I didnt now this dog I scooped her up and she was in my arms. Because I know our neighbors dog I will let the neighbors dog sniff her and check her out. I will stand close by just incase but I will not pick her up. Daisy lives with a big dog so I don't know why shes scared of them.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Whenever we go to visit my dad he has a sweet old black lab that My Chi has known her whole life. But when we start to get out of the car & Midgie sees the lab greeting us, she starts screaming & barking. I pick her up out of the car & set her down in the grass & then she realizes the lab don't have any interest in. It starts all over again the next time we go over there. We visit maybe once a month, not really enough to get her to stop this behavior!! She acts just like your chi did!! Like she was literally running for her life!! Lol But I guess we have to look at it from their perspective & size. Labs are huge compared to these little guys, so I probably be a raving lunatic too if a huge black dog was approaching me!! Haha

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The first time Gracie met Gunner (3/4 Great Pyrenees, 1/4 Border Collie) she did the scream of death. She pretty well stays close to me when we're all out in the back yard together, but if I put the Chis out alone, she's fine with him, she just walks by the poor thing and growls. (Gracie weighs 6 lbs, and Gunner weighs 95 lbs...)

Diesel goes straight into attack mode anytime Gunner comes near. Gunner is still a pup (1 year) and so is Diesel (11 months), so Diesel is Gunner's natural choice for a play mate, even though little Diesel is less than 3 lbs! If Diesel approaches Gunner, all is well. If Gunner approaches Diesel and looks down at him, Diesel turns into a snapping turtle and winds up hanging from Gunner's nose. Gunner shakes him off like he's a gnat, and keeps trying to play...

We're fortunate that Gunner is good natured...He could easily swallow Diesel in one bite!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Rico seems to prefer large dogs...his favourite at eh dog sitter is a Rotti ....out on walkies or whatever he shys away from little dogs.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyone's replies!

Good to know Sugar is not the only scardy chi! ye it does sound like a scream of death lol! It's a shocking sound and so loud, I felt like everyone around was looking at me.

Yes I agree that it's like a defence thing, she started screaming before the dog would have even had the chance to harm her (if it was going to). Sometimes she does the scream for what seems like no reason, if I pick her up too quick and once or twice wen I've gone to take off/put on her lead, but not too often thankfully. Wats the best way to react to this scream? Just ignore and carry on??

Spice has never done the scream, she's a little dare devil, not afraid of anything!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i SO wish tillie was scared of bigger dogs! LOL as she lives with a big dog shes fine but she thinks SHES the big dog and is constantly attacking pippi and bossing her around! LOL x

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
One of mine is the same. Heidi is really nervy and will bark at bigger dogs if she sees them in the distance then if they approach her will do the scream of death, tuck tail and run! Even though she gets lots of exposure (my lot walk off lead around other dogs often) she never seems to get more comfortable.
Its more about the energy then the size though. The other day she was petrified of a Staffie x puppy that was just too over excited and playful and much happier with an enormous dog aggressive, muzzled Mastiff that just said hello and left her alone!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I suppose it's normal enough for chihuahuas then, she's so nervy sometimes and after that happened she seemed less comfortable walking and not enjoying the end of our walk the way she had before she met the big dog.

It's a shame but I suppose that's just the way she is, she can be odd sometimes, she's really really sensitive, she picks up on my mood instantly and it affects hers where as Spice couldn't care less.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Had this happen with a Beagle yesterday. Daisy does the chi scream of death, but because I didnt now this dog I scooped her up and she was in my arms. Because I know our neighbors dog I will let the neighbors dog sniff her and check her out. I will stand close by just incase but I will not pick her up. Daisy lives with a big dog so I don't know why shes scared of them.
Missy lets out a screech like a pterosaur its the cutest thing,the others bark but she will screech,LOL

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My Chloe is the same. Axle loves every dog he meets but Chloe has only ever wanted to play with my friend's quiet old Pom x Chi, anything bigger terrifies her and anything small that bounds up to her and tries to play makes her snap (except Axle of course, they play all day long). She went to puppy school with puppies of all sizes and has gone to the dog park multiple times a week since she finished her puppy shots so it's just her personality, not a lack of socialization. Sounds like Sugar is the same and has some fear issues. Karen (Jesuschick) had a trainer out to help with her Ruby's fear issues and was kind enough to post what she learnt so I would do a search for that and have a read, I found it helpful in understanding Chloe a bit better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts