Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
He actually looks almost perfect to me. Maybe just a few ounces more, and he'd be fine. It's actually healthier for them to be on the thin side. Just not so boney that you can see them protruding. The worst part is when you can see a dogs hip and rib bones. That means more food is in order. But I think your guy looks great!

·
Registered
677 Posts
He seems to be in a good body condition to me :)

You can't see his pelvic bones or spine, and though it's hard to tell with his cute shirt on, I don't think his ribs are prominent either.

He's probably just going through an awkward, lanky teen boy stage :)

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
I think he looks perfect - mine went through a stage at 4-7 months of looking really skinny, I think it's where they grow up in length and height but still haven't bulked up.

When I had Poppy in being spayed a few weeks ago, the vet said she wouldn't like to see her put much more weight, that she was lovely and lean at the moment and that it puts far too much strain on their little legs if they carry weight - she was 2 lbs 10 then so I suppose a little more to just fill out. :)

I am sure that he is the same :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Yeah, they all (or most) go through that lanky stage. I noticed with mine that at 13 months old is when each of them started actually getting a bit of bulk to where they didn't look lanky.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
He looks perfect to me. My Roo is very lean and skinny (and she has a good appetite) to the point where I asked my vet about it. He said she is perfectly fine, in fact he said it's better for them. I wouldn't worry about it, he looks good to me. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Nope, not underweight at all. He looks great to me. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Sorry i had to check your previous posts as i thought you didn't get him that long ago.. anyway time has actually flown i was sure it was only a couple of weeks ago not March ha ha ha ha.. He's 18 weeks right? :D I got way confused hahaha..

He looks optimal to me.. Pups change all the time.. seriously Daisy went through a stage of looking fat some days and skinny others.. she's now stuck to the same shape.. still has her puppy fat obviously but she's not fluctuating in her shape!! Also if he does have Dachshund in him then he's gonna have a longer skinnier body anyway!!!

Hows he doing with everything now???

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
He looks great! My youngest was super skinny at that age too. Then after her first season she bulked out abit. Not got fat but now looks like she has a healthy layer of muscle rather then just skin and bones!:D

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think he looks good. My chi Willy is skinny like that, maybe even a tad skinnier, and the vet is fine with his weight (he's actually 4.5 pounds now but skinny) He said its better to be on the thinner side, esp Willy because of leg issues. Less weight to put presure and stuff on the joints

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry i had to check your previous posts as i thought you didn't get him that long ago.. anyway time has actually flown i was sure it was only a couple of weeks ago not March ha ha ha ha.. He's 18 weeks right? :D I got way confused hahaha..

He looks optimal to me.. Pups change all the time.. seriously Daisy went through a stage of looking fat some days and skinny others.. she's now stuck to the same shape.. still has her puppy fat obviously but she's not fluctuating in her shape!! Also if he does have Dachshund in him then he's gonna have a longer skinnier body anyway!!!

Hows he doing with everything now???
Yup about 18... lol As soon as his things drop hes gonna go get fixed lol.
Yup I guess I'll see how he changes when he get's older lol.
Hmm a lil update on him :p
Potty training - he knows the word potty, and will go on his own to the litter box with occasional accidents if I don't take him every 2hours... He does have more freedom around the house now, he does not chew on anything...
At night he still does whine maybe about 5-10mins then goes to bed..
I haven't taught him anything new at all lol, besides sit,down,up... He loves going on walks now, loves people and other dogs! He's a good boy, I am happy with his progress, and our training.... I am thinking in the future of adding another chi to the family ! :D

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yup about 18... lol As soon as his things drop hes gonna go get fixed lol.
Yup I guess I'll see how he changes when he get's older lol.
Hmm a lil update on him :p
Potty training - he knows the word potty, and will go on his own to the litter box with occasional accidents if I don't take him every 2hours... He does have more freedom around the house now, he does not chew on anything...
At night he still does whine maybe about 5-10mins then goes to bed..
I haven't taught him anything new at all lol, besides sit,down,up... He loves going on walks now, loves people and other dogs! He's a good boy, I am happy with his progress, and our training.... I am thinking in the future of adding another chi to the family ! :D
Thats fab news!!!! He'll stop whining eventually!!
Good on you for getting him neutered i'm so pro neutering!!

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
He looks fine to me. He's growing into his body and may be naturally slender.

We adopted Bella when she was 11 months old and she weighed about 4 pounds. She was still growing into her body. It took her almost a year to reach 5 pounds, which is a healthy weight for her according to our vet. She now weighs 5 pounds as a 4 year old. Bella has an athletic long body, longer legs, and is naturally slender. She is quite active and has a healthy appetite.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts