Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have Pet Insurance for their Chis? I was thinking of getting it. I checked one company and they charge anywhere from $350-$425 per year. There is a $50 deductible with each visit.
My chi (don't have a name yet for sure.) is only 7 weeks and we bring her home in 2 weeks. Spaying her will be anywhere between $350-$550. I called a few vets for pricing. Then there are vaccinations etc.
I am wondering whether it is worthwhile or not. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
56 Posts
in my opinion, one shouldn't have a dog if they aren't going to be able to afford it, i'm not trying to be a b**** here, but its the truth. Puppies are more expensive, shots are more often, and spaying is expensive as well. The premium sounds kind of cheap, but you only have to pay for a spay once, and shots every so often. I would only purchase insurance if I knew my dog was a senior and was having health issues that i knew i couldn't afford. That was pretty random thoughts but i hope you understand.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The older the dog is the more expensive your preimum will be. If you get the insurance when they are young puppies it is cheaper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have pet insurance for my Chi and it is totally worth it. The one thing I regret is not buying it when she was a pup. I started buying it for her when she was 5 y/o and let's just say that the bigger the medical file, the more opportunities for insurance companies to use the "pre-existing" excuse on you for not paying out. E.g. my Chi's skin problems are not covered because back when she was 3 y/o, I reported some itchiness to the vet and now they attribute this as a pre-existing condition. So, if you're going to buy it, start early, or you risk having a lot of things not covered later on.

For me, it's worth it because I'm actually saving money (I did the calculations). But my dog also goes to see the vet often since I'm a paranoid owner and she goes for every little thing. I can't say that it will def. be worth it for others though.

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
We pay almost £50.00 (might be more now, will have to check!)n a month for both of our Chihuahuas and are with Petplan, which in my opinion are the best insurance company. Not the cheapest, but they cover conditions for life and are great to deal with.

Personally I wouldn't keep a dog now without insurance, it's not the routine vet bills, but the reassurance that we can ask for referrals and not worry about getting them the very best treatment. If we at some point get another Chi that will be registered with Petplan as soon as it comes into the house!

Because of the considerable health issues within the Chihuahua, especially heart, patella and epilepsy I'd really urge everyone with a CHi to get insured.

Do keep in mind cheaper options are rarely much good and will often only cover vet bills for any given condition for 12 months. You really need cover for life if they develop a chronic condition.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
BEfore you buy the insurance, take the contract with you to the vet and make SURE they accept it. I don't think every vet accepts the insurance and then you have to make a claim to be reiumbursed (you still have to pay the vet) and sometimes you aren't reimbursed? Just check it out thoroughly and talk to people who have it. I'd rather just put $$ aside every month in an emergency fund but that's just me.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I didnt see the need for the insurance, do most of my own shots but rabies. Everyone goes in once a year to get examed and rabies. No one is fixed...personally choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts