Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am struggling finding a chihuahua breeder anywhere nearby me. Actually there was one woman, however she told me that if my husband and I both worked full time (which we do) she could not sell us a puppy, that it would become depressed and need to go into hospice....

I am located in southern Wisconsin. Ideally I'd like a slightly larger puppy, as lbs I have a very friendly cat, and I dont want the 18lb chubby cat to hurt my puppy. I guess 6 lbs (fully grown of course!) is the min. I am not unwilling to ship the dog to me if thats what it takes, but I really don't want a retarded looking alien dog, I like the little guys who are more deer headed and not bug eyed!

My husband is all for the puppy, but wants to wait until summer for when we have a little more time as I will have finished my part time grad school program.

If anyone can help, I'd be thrilled!

Reply here or you can email me ecreinfr (at) wisc.edu

Thanks,
erika

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I would try www.petpages.com that's where I found Thumbelina. They always have new pups on there :) Just be really careful and screen them before you buy the puppy. I didn't do such a good job at that and got lied to. So, just be careful. Also, if you're looking for a slightly older puppy (my Lina was 4 months when we got her) who might be able to handle him/herself around your chubby kitty, you might want to try animal shelters or even www.petfinder.com They have lots of purebreds all the time that need a good home :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
hi i live..

Hi,
I live in NW Iowa & breed chis. I'm mot for sure how far away you are from me. I just had a liiter on Dec. 5th abd will probably be having another Maybe in August or so if you might be interested.
Heather

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
"""but I really don't want a retarded looking alien dog, I like the little guys who are more deer headed and not bug eyed!"""

Sorry but i think the comment you just made was really rude. I dont have a chihuahua myself,but you say you want a deer head and not the other bug eyed ones. Well the other so called "bug eyed" ones,are probably what are known as *apple heads* they have slightly bigger eyes. I don't appreciate you calling them retarded for this matter. Though I do understand you don't want any puppy and your looking for a specific type,But *retarded/alien/bug eyed* is not very nice,and I don't think oithers on this site will appreciate that! Thanks!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
All chi's are beautiful.............. :D
I agree..........stefanie

your phrases are a bit offensive so please try and be more considerate of others THANKS :wave:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I just thought of something...

I think you should probably do a little more research on chi's before you actually get one. You didn't even know the difference in the heads...I mean, this is a very special (and delicate) type of dog and you should know what you're getting in to before you go out and buy one or adopt one. It's good to know everything about the breed that you can before you get it..that goes for any animal you might want to bring into your home.

I just thought I'd add that.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
and also a little tact will work wonders - we all obviously love this breed otherwise we wouldnt be here and I can honestly say you probably offended each and everyone of us :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
You probably dont want a chihuahua then. Although I think that all chi's are adorable some (and I dont understand why) dont like the look of the breed, which it seems that you do not. If you look at the breed standard they have the more apple shaped heads and the larger eyes. Tequila is what you would consider a "deer head" and Ginger would be more of the classic "apple head" and both are adorable (to me anyway)

I agree with Clare (Ozzysmom) you really should watch what you say on certain sites....coming to a chihuahua forum and calling them retarded and alien looking was not the smartest thing to do.

A little bit of advise....you really should pick a dog based on the personality and the compatability that dogs care is to your lifestyle and not by just looks alone. Just because they are not "cute" doesnt mean anything. I have seen some CUTE dogs that are very nasty and I have seen some dogs that might not look as cute as others but have the cutest personalities and that alone makes them apealing. (we have a pekanese at work who wouldnt be considered cute but because he is such a sweatie everyone loves him and thinks he is so cute!)

Sorry to just focus on that part of your email, but I wasnt able to really focus on the rest because of that comment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok.
Sorry if I did not phrase that part correctly. It is the way my husband has referred to them. I was trying to say that I don't want a poorly bred dog. Most of the times when chihuahuas look weird it is when they are incredibly unhealthy and from bad breeders. I do apologize if I offended anyone.

That said...

I have done a significant amount of research on which breed of dog is best for me, and that is how i decided on a chihuahua. I don't have a ton of space, and I wanted a dog that I can take with me easily on errands etc. I have spent at least two years doing research and I know exactly what I am getting into.

It seems odd to me that as I don't yet have a dog, why you all would jump down my throat and say I shouldn't have pets? Do you get the irony in that? I dont yet have a dog.... hmmm Maybe there is a reason for that? Maybe I was wanting to find a breeder to meet a few more dogs in person and that was why I was posting that I was looking for a breeder so I could get a dog this summer? You will note I didnt say anywhere I was buying a dog now. I want to meet a few more dogs before I get mine, and my local kennel club isnt providing much assistance.

I really dont know why I bother explaining anything to anyone here. I thought this site would be helpful, but I'd rather not waste my time posting somewhere with insecure people who seem to doubt their own choice of puppies. I will find a better place to get the answers to my questions. Thanks for nothing.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
NOW, NOW, we all must understand we all come from different areas and our slang maybe different than others. I recall, i said I couldnt wait till my lady threw me pups. And I was critisized but That is all under the bridge now. But your last comment about us being insecure was not very polite.
i used lingo on my post but when i clarified it everyone understood. However, if that is how you truly feel. Your loss, you have no idea what we are like and how devoted we are and thankful for our furbabies. we think of them as our companions and family members. Not just a dog. In my personal opinion if you cant do that you shouldnt have a pet period. Now, on to much better conversation. Like buggy eyed chi's, fat chi's, skinny chi's, what ever they look like they are all beautiful

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
WOW YOU CERTAINLY MISINTERPRETED EVERYTHING THAT WAS SAID TO YOU - WE ARE NOT PSYCHICS AND DO NOT KNOW HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING ETC - AT THE END OF THE DAY WE DIDNT GET OFF TOO A GOOD START BY HOW YOU REFERED TO THE BREED WE ALL LOVE - WE ARE GOOD PEOPLE AND IT IS NOT ARE INTENT TO OFFEND BUT GO AND GET YOUR ADVICEW SOMEWHERE ELSE - TRUST ME THOUGH IT WONT BE NO BETTER THAN HERE AS I ONCE WAS IN YOUR POSISTION AND WENT TO MANY FORUMS BEFORE I FOUND THIS ONE AND TRUST ME THIS IS THE BEST

sorry for shouting didnt realise had caps on :wave:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
:shock: And I thought i was being polite lol. believe me I was bitting my tounge in my reply. but.... you couldnt gotten yu r point across any better ^5 Ozzysmom

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I feel like a dummy :oops: but I don't understand your post Janiesbabes :) . Do you mean I could have posted my point better?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Yeah geesh :shock: we cant read your mind.....your terminology whether yours or your husbands was offensive period. If you had been researching you would know most any chi lover find those terms rude.

Have a nice day :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Definately ditto what Kemos mama said - if you have been researching that long you would know that is offensive to calll any living thing that wether they are bred badly or not - tutt tutt :evil:

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
lolol the good stuff! well chihuahua_girl,i think we all say the wrong things at times! i said teacup,but now i am aware of the meaning ect ect... and how much it offends people and their furbies,i respect them for that and choose not to say it! i dont turn round and act stubborn like i no everything and tell everyone its their lose,because its not!!! I gained a very respectful,loving forum of chi owners, and whether we are from the usa,uk,china,australia we still are all here for the chi babies! aint dat right girls? :wave: :oops: :cry:

xx

1 - 20 of 21 Posts