Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure what to do here...

My Mom watched Zero over the weekend, along with her own little dog and a friends small dog. They are all "grazers" so all 3 had their food bowls down and of course, they all ate each others food.
This quick change in diet has caused Zero to have runny/mucousy poops for the last 2-3 days. (He's even waking us up every 2 hours in the night to go.) We are having to use "tushie wipes" after to clean up the fur around his butt. He's scooting too.

Should I take him off his food and just give him some brown rice cooked in chicken stock for a few days? Or, give him a dose of Peptobismol - as I've heard dogs can have this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: We gave him a quarter of a Peptobismol pill, (an adult dose is 2 whole pills.) My husband is out right now picking up some white rice. I'll cook it up with a bit of chicken stock for flavour and see how that goes....

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
You can try giving a bit of canned pumpkin to firm up loose stools.

Gemma was having mucousy, frequent stools like that when she ate raw beef. The frequency went back to normal after about 3 days, but for a week her stools were mucousy and loose. I'm assuming she has a beef allergy because she also got very itchy while eating beef Acana and has always had very watery eyes while she's had bully sticks (which are beef). Zero may have possibly ate something he's allergic or intolerant to in one of the other dog's foods.

I used boiled chicken and rice for Gemma until the frequency of her bowel movements slowed down. There's no pumpkin here, otherwise I would have preferred to use that.

I hope Zero is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Thanks!! I didn't know about the pumpkin! And I didn't even think about allergies... something to consider for sure! Thanks again!
You're welcome. :) Just don't give too much pumpkin because that can cause loose stools. It is also used to treat constipation. I would just start with 1-2 teaspoons per day mixed in with meals. That should be plenty for a Chihuahua.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Canned pumpkin to firm up stools and dorwest slippery elm to soothe the gut and aid digestion has helped my boy alot.
I personally add about a teaspoon to half every meal of the pumpkin puree and quarter teaspoon of the elm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts