Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Daisy has a SC mom and a LC dad, and she does not have a very long coat at all. granted, she does have flea allergies and her coat is starting to grow out now that we have the fleas completely off of her and I broke down and put advantix on her... She is 2 years old, will be 3 in June. Do you think their coat is affected if both parents are not LC, or do you think once I get her allergies under control she may grow a fuller longer coat?

Also, she is not spayed, but will be soon (She has never been bred and never been allowed around any males at ALL) Do you think spayed female coats are fuller/longer than unspayed or is there really no difference or depends on the dog?

·
Registered
912 Posts
She may just have a "single" long coat. Not sure if that's actually a term, but a good way to describe it! :) My youngest boy's father has a really thick "double" or "under" long coat, and his mama has the skinty kinda thin long coat. Dexter (my boy) ended up with a coat more like his mama, but he's only a year so it may fill in still.

I have read that unspayed females tend to blow their coat or their coat is affected each time they go into heat. Which would mean that if she was spayed, her coat may have more time to fill in, given the fleas are under control. :) Just add it to the list of Pro's on the "should she be spayed" list. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts