Chihuahua People Forum banner

Chi wont drink water

22K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Lin 
#1 ·
My Chi doesnt seem to drink much water? She isnt getting much moisture from her food either really. Its obviously nothing I can force her to do but if she doesnt drink im worried it might effect her? Any advice

#6 ·
I have a large cooler type water that lets off bubbles when the dogs drink from it and the noise scared thee of my chis, so I had to get a water bowl or they would not drink. Billy and Pepper prefer to drink out of my daugher's water glass that she always sets on the edge of my desk. lol

#7 ·
Thanks everyone, funnily enough she started to 'attempt' at playing with an ice cube after she saw my other dog do it (who loves ice!)
She has a really shallow bowl at the moment, but ive caught her drinking from my other dogs big bowl so not sure which she prefers, she hardly drinks either way :/
Weird how Chi's dont seem to drink much then? Glad its not just Pixie. I will try out some of the suggestions just incase it could effect her health

#10 ·
I'm a first-time Chi owner, and I noticed this about Pablo, too...not much of a drinker, slurp-slurp and he's done. Lakes, too...he'll go in wrist-deep if it's hot...the first time we took him to the lake and our AWS, Kali, started retrieving, he started after her and stopped, as if to say, "I will save you, Senora Kali! Uh, you're good? Okaaay, I'll just wait here, then..."

I'm not pushing the swimming issue with Pabs, since we don't boat at all. It took us two years to teach our Dobie, Dary, to swim; he had no body fat and no loft to his fur, so he'd sink like a rock and start flailing! We called him the German U-Boat LOL! With patience and not pushing him, he finally got the hang of it, which served him well later in life when he had ortho surgery...the swimming was great, low-impact PT for him.

If you're concerned about dehydration, I've had some success "forcing" drinking by putting a little no-salt-added chicken stock in their water (the stuff in the box is better than the stuff in the can). Of course, you can't leave it down all day, but as a quick fix it works well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.