Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there Chicken raw bones to feed or not to feed our little doggies?? I know the chicken wings are OK but what about the raw chicken leg or thigh bone..... are those ok also??

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hi Jan, i feed Honey chicken wing, leg, neck, back etc. I dont feed thigh of any animal, as these are weight bearing bones, and its my understanding these can splinter/chip your Chi's teeth. Anyone can correct me tho :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Chicken bones are OK. I tend to prefer cornish hens just because they are smaller and the bones are softer. I would stay away from the thigh bones as well. They are hard but mainly because they are just way too much bone! Bone is only 10% of the diet, a very small amount. If a chi ate a chicken thigh bone, that would be enough bone for a long time if fulfilling calcium needs. Too much bone is constipating.

Having said that, you could certainly let them eat and gnaw on the ends of the leg and thigh bones which have the cartilage. But I wouldn't let them eat the long bone in the middle.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okies... thanks....... I had fed the thighs bones.... but thought I better make sure..... they both LOVE the bones so I will change over to the other bones....

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Jan, if they are getting a lot of enjoyment out of the bones you could try rib or beef bones? They are harder but still edible. Brody can chew on one for a long time and it really gives him a gnawing workout. He works and works on it. When it gets dried out I throw it away, usually the next day.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jan, if they are getting a lot of enjoyment out of the bones you could try rib or beef bones? They are harder but still edible. Brody can chew on one for a long time and it really gives him a gnawing workout. He works and works on it. When it gets dried out I throw it away, usually the next day.
good idea!!! I will certainly try the beef rib bones...... what a GREAT excuse to buy a ribeye steak.....lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts