Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of placing Chico on the RAW food... but the newbie post states:

"The diet consists of 80% meat, 10% bone (always raw, never ever cooked), and 10% organs. Of those organs, 5% must be liver and the other 5% is a secreting organ such as kidney, pancreas, reproductive organs, thymus, etc."

I can figure out everything but the secreting organs.... where in the world do I find secreting organs.... easily???

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Jan, I find beef kidney at Walmart. They almost always have them. If you can't find them there (and liver is easy to find everywhere), then go to an ethnic market. They have all kinds of organs there and they are super cheap too.

I'm excited to think that Chico might be starting on a raw diet! :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Oh yay! That is exciting! We get all of our organ through hare-today.com. We usually do grinds but we also have the ground beef & chicken organ mixes as well. (though the chicken only has liver, heart, gizzard I believe)

I can't wait to hear how he does on raw! :)

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info.... I gave Chico a chicken thigh bone and some meat on it just to see what he would do with it.... my Manchester terrier ran with his portion and eat it up.... but Chico didnt' quite know what to do with his portion... he run around with it in his mouth for awhile.....and he tried to hide the bone/meat a couple of times.... but then after about 30 mins. he settled down and ate every bit of it!!! Since having colon cancer twice, chicken is about all I can eat meat wise so me and him will do fine for alittle while...lol... he can eat the bones and meat while I cook the rest for me :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
thanks for the info.... I gave Chico a chicken thigh bone and some meat on it just to see what he would do with it.... my Manchester terrier ran with his portion and eat it up.... but Chico didnt' quite know what to do with his portion... he run around with it in his mouth for awhile.....and he tried to hide the bone/meat a couple of times.... but then after about 30 mins. he settled down and ate every bit of it!!! Since having colon cancer twice, chicken is about all I can eat meat wise so me and him will do fine for alittle while...lol... he can eat the bones and meat while I cook the rest for me :)
Great job Jan!! Just keep on with the bone-in chicken and let us know how we can help. Remember it's EASY to overfeed and I know you want to get some weight off Chico, so don't give in to those puppy eyes. :) They don't eat much on the raw diet, but all of it is available to them and it's satisfying for them to crunch the bones and work on the chunks. That pure protein keeps them fuller longer as well.

Use the raw calculator if you need to and figure out his ideal weight and then put in the 2-3% of that weight and you'll get his daily amounts. An ounce, if you are eyeballing, is about the size of an ice cube or a rounded tablespoon. That's not very much. Brody eats about 3 ounces a day to maintain his weight at 5 pounds. Some dogs need more, some less. You will learn as you go. :)

Calculate

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks.... yea, he still needs to lose the weight.... the green bean diet just isn't working... and I been wanting to try the RAW but too afraid it will gross me out...and also didnt' think I would have time for it but I fix all my weekday lunches on Sunday so I am going to fix his also so we both have a weeks worth in the refrig/freezer :)

I used the calculator today to see what he would need per meal and it sure doesn't sound like much but I am going to give it a try.... from what I read its chicken neck bones/meat for the first 2 weeks... I guess one neck bone can be cut up to last 2-3 meals at 1.5oz per meal, right?? I am just afraid I won't be giving him the necessary vitamins/minerals.... I think that worries me more than anything...just eating chicken for 2 weeks it just doesnt' seem like he would get everything he needs....... ??

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
thanks.... yea, he still needs to lose the weight.... the green bean diet just isn't working... and I been wanting to try the RAW but too afraid it will gross me out...and also didnt' think I would have time for it but I fix all my weekday lunches on Sunday so I am going to fix his also so we both have a weeks worth in the refrig/freezer :)

I used the calculator today to see what he would need per meal and it sure doesn't sound like much but I am going to give it a try.... from what I read its chicken neck bones/meat for the first 2 weeks... I guess one neck bone can be cut up to last 2-3 meals at 1.5oz per meal, right?? I am just afraid I won't be giving him the necessary vitamins/minerals.... I think that worries me more than anything...just eating chicken for 2 weeks it just doesnt' seem like he would get everything he needs....... ??
It's balance over time. He will be fine during the transition time on just chicken and bones. If you pull up the USDA information on chicken and then add in the exact perfect calcium/phosphorus ratio that comes from the bones - you'll see he will be fine. :)

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Don't cut up the chicken necks too small or they can be a choking hazard, especially for a new raw eater. Let him have one and let him gnaw on it until he's had 1/3 or whatever you want him to have, then 'trade up' for something better (a special treat) and put it away until the next time. When the piece gets small, throw it away. Some dogs aren't careful eaters and will try and swallow small pieces. If they swallow it - it's OK. You just don't want it getting stuck on the way down! You can also do chicken backs or cut up a cornish hen and feed through it as well. Heather started her guys out on meaty chicken necks and they all did well on that. I like and use cornish hens. Bone-in chicken breasts are another good one to start with.

As for the balance issue, a properly fed raw fed diets meets and exceeds every standard set up by the AAFCO ....

Myths About Raw: What about raw diets and the AAFCO standards?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'd worry that chicken necks, exclusively, will be a bit too high in bone content, even for a new raw feeder. You may want to incorporate some chicken thighs and bone-in breast as well. Watch Chico's poos. If they come out whiteish or crumbly, you may want to give him a bit less bone and a bit more meat.

Awesome you're going to try and switch him over! Welcome to raw!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Just wanted to give my support!

As far as "screwing it up" and "missing something important" dogs can go MONTHS with something missing before they begin to show signs of malnutrition. Everyone learning raw usually does it wrong, or misses something at first.. I tell ya, our first experiences with raw I was NOT giving enough bone, then I gave too much.. then they wouldn't eat organ (well, Betty will eat anything but Goose wouldn't, and now Oona wont). Am I worried? Nope. She will eat it eventually! When they're new to raw I tend to not push organs too much, once she's been on it a few months, I will start to fast her 12hrs then offer her organ. If she doens't eat, she gets nothing until she eats her organ. Worked for Goose. :)

In short.. don't worry, hun! You have us all here to help, support, and cheer you on!

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you.... its good to know the MONTHS part... I was afraid of it being WEEKS or DAYS.... so I can breathe alittle easier knowing its not an overnight process.... I am excited to try this.... the green bean diet just wasn't working for him-lately it seemed to be upsetting his stomach more and more... and he just didn't seem "happy" if that makes sense....

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, Chico had his first meal for RAW.... didn't seem to faze him at all.... he gobbled it right up....

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
**Just bringing over my Menu from another post I made so I can have it all here in this post**

have a Cuisinart Kitchen scale I really like so I have measured Chico's meals out for the week. My Hare-Today order should be here by Thursday so from Sunday on I hope to use that. Does this meal menu look OK to you all?

Monday Morning Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)
Monday Evening Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh Bone (alittle meat left on the bone)

Tuesday Morning Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)
Tuesday Evening Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)

Wednesday Morning Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)
Wednesday Evening Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh Bone (alittle meat left on the bone)

Thursday Morning Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)
Thursday Evening Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)

Friday Morning Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)
Friday Evening Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh Bone (alittle meat left on the bone)

Saturday Morning Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)
Saturday Evening Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)

Sunday Morning Meal: 2oz. Hare-Today Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs
Sunday Evening Meal: 2oz. Hare-Today Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs

Hare-Today Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs every day from Sunday. I may replace the Ground chicken meal with some plain Chicken meat meal.

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yay chico

Jan we need pics!!! And poo updates lol
well, don't know if I can do the poo pics...LOL... but last night... he didn't have diarrehea but it wasnt' solid either....kinda like 'shoe string licorice' curled in a circle....LOL... if that makes any sense.... :coolwink:

he seems to be doing OK otherwise....those 2 ozs just dont' look like much to eat but he doesn't act starving after he eats it so thats good....

QUESTION: I have baggies in my Refrig. with 2oz of chicken in each for the weekdays... I get a baggie out when I wake up to get ready for work (2am)but its COLD.... can I microwave it for like 10secs. to kinda warm it up?? but not cook it...

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
No, don't microwave it. Even just a few seconds microwaving can start to change the composition of the bone and bones must be fed raw.

Just put the baggy of chicken in a cup of very hot water and let it float there for a few minutes to take the chill off. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Jan, I pull out 2-3 days worth of food at a time and defrost by just putting it in the fridge. If I forget I put it in some warm water to defrost. Tracy is right Microwaving can be dangerous, as it changes the composition and cooks the bones.

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, don't microwave it. Even just a few seconds microwaving can start to change the composition of the bone and bones must be fed raw.

Just put the baggy of chicken in a cup of very hot water and let it float there for a few minutes to take the chill off. :)

well, DUH.... never even thought of placing the baggie in hot water

thanks!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
How exciting for Chico, cant wait to see the results from the new raw diet

1 - 20 of 38 Posts