Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chico is now 6 months old. My hubby washed my floors with ammonia in the water and now I think that may be the problem. He has started to lift his leg when he pees and is going all over the house. He goes potty outside and he will go 5 or 6 times. I don't know where it's all comming from. I think he is marking his territory. He is going to be neuter on Jan 12.
Will this stop his peeing in the house? Last night, I left him on the couch to take Shanghai out and when I came back in, he had peed on the couch. My hubby locked him in his crate for the rest of the night. I need help to stop this. I've just rewashed all the floors with 50/50 white vinegar and the house now smells like a wet dog! PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
He is definitely marking I'd suggest putting a belly band on him and correcting him when he marks the belly band will stop him from weeing on stuff it'll just be on him!!

The neutering should do as it's being caught early

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daisydoo, thank you. I never thought of a belly band. That should do the trick until he is neutered. The vet wanted to wait until he weighed 5 lbs. So, now is the time. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I don't think you're supposed to use ammonia to clean because urine naturally contains ammonia & this is why he's marking your house up.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
The ammonia could be the problem and also the ammonia is a chemical that can be harmful on dogs, especially if they have allergies. Using the vinegar and water is good or I use natural products to do the floor. Where he has pee'd you can also use "Natures Miracle" liquid to mop up and clean the real soiled area's as it will keep him from coming back to the same place. You can find it at Pet stores.
Good luck with your little guy:)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm guessing he would have marked cleaning with ammonia or not. He is at the age where his testosterone levels are increasing. This is the time when males begin to mark. Neutering will definitely help but it will take a month or two for the levels to go back down. Luckily they aren't very high since he is still relatively young. But definitely correct the behavior & use belly bands in the mean time. Marking is VERY hard to break unless they are neutered.

Weird your vet wouldn't neuter until he was 5lbs. :confused: Some vets confuse me since they do other small animals... Ah well, good luck with his procedure & the marking! I'm sure with some time & corrections he'll be ok.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, today I washed floors again with vinegar and water and sprayed where he peed with Natures Miracle. I then went out to Pet Supermarket and bought him a belly band. He's had it on since 1pm today while in the house and it's still clean. He doesn't like it too much. He keeps trying to get it off. I hope this does the trick. He gets neuted next Wednesday, the 12th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts