Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how to describe it. It started today while he was sleeping and he only does it while sleeping. He'll suddenly wake up and start snorting and it sounds like he's got water up his nose. Very liquid sounding. He's still very active and playful while he's awake. His appetite hasn't changed.

Nothing has changed except that it's gotten cold here but I made him a sock sweater that he's been wearing all day so he's been kept warm. He's current on all his shots.

It's been a long time since I had a puppy and years since I had a small one so every sneeze and sniffle is a worry. Am I being paranoid?

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Could it be reverse sneezing? When Buster does it it sounds really bad and it goes on for a little while, I help him stop by getting his attention. Mr. Peepers does it too but it doesn't last as long and isn't as bad. I'm sure someone else can describe and define it better than I can :) . But if he does it in his sleep only, I don't know if it'd be that. Maybe sleep apnea?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's the sneezy thing you describe. More like a very runny nose he tries to clear then he can't catch his breath.

I'll keep an eye on him. He goes back to the vet on the 18th and if it doesn't get worse before then, I'll ask about it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Owned said:
Reverse sneezing doesn't really sound like sneezing. It sounds more like a combination of snorting, and inhaling or sucking back in a head full of snot.
That's it! Is this 'normal'? He looks so pitiful trying to catch his breath! He doesn't do it on any sort of regular basis, mostly when he's sleeping are just waking up.

Do they outgrow it?

·
Registered
326 Posts
It's not dangerous to your dog. Our vet said that although it seems like they are in distress, they are actually only trying to relieve irritation in their nose or throat. Smoke, perfume, pollen, dust, etc. can all irritate the pups airways. Sunlight triggers it in Gizmo. It makes him "regular" sneeze too. It happens when we play hard too. I usually just rub his throat gently, or let him lick my hand, and he calms down and it stops.

If it gets really bad, and it seems like the dog is doing it all the time, the vet can give you antihistamines. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know....that makes sense. Little bugger is so close to the floor. I'll be extra diligent in cleaning to see if that helps.

Thanks Owned!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
keeks does it too!m usualy when she gets over excited, if the "snorting" starts to get quite severe and happens very often, you might need a trip to the vet as you may be a collapsed trachea, but most likely its just reverse sneezing a common trait amongst toy breeds
mia
x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.