Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chico has been around cats since the day i brought him home. he is very gentle and playful with my kitties. they're his best friends. well, yesterday when we were at my MIL's, chico was eating his food. my lil bro in laws cat, Sox, came up and tried to eat some of Chico's food too. Chico didn't like this, and he attacked Sox! I had to run and grab Chico away from him. I felt so bad for Sox. I picked him up and was petting him, and then i gave him the can of wet kittie food i brought over for him the night before. Sox is fine though. He's a very resilient cat. It dodn't bother him in the least. He's an outdoor cat (something i don't like and i always make them aware of it) so he can protect himself and nothing really bothers him. He's real mellow.

I think chico attacked him because he doesn't know Sox. Every time we're over there, Chico always tries to make friends with Sox, but Sox doesn't want anything to do with him. But, Chico has our kitties that love him and play with him...so thats all that matters. :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rachael Polachek said:
Was this before or after he invented the game of "giving mommy a heart attack by bolting out the door"? Sounds like Chico had a pretty eventful weekend. :lol:
This was after his game :lol: i really don't know what got into him yesterday...hopefully he is done with it though. my legs are to sore to be chasing after him again today, lol.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
luv4mygirls said:
how is he when he's eating and you try to take his food away? sounds like he didn't want to share.
i leave food out for him 24/7...it doesn't bother him at all if i am near him when he's eating or if i take his food away. the only time he gets mad and snaps or growls is if i try to take one of his tendon chews away from him. he even snaps at the kitties if they go near him when he has one of his tendon chews.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
sounds like the beginings of food aggression. try to nip that in the bud now before it gets out of control. they say to stop free feeding when they start showing that behavior. also with treats and bones hold them while he is chewing them, take it from him and if he is fine and doesn't snap or growl say good boy and let him have it back, if he snaps and growls don't let him have it back. helps. when you feed him his meals feed him only after you ate your dinner (it helps show who is alpha when he has to eat last) also feeding him a few pieces of food by hand helps. if he goes after another animal while eating take his food from him and let him kow it's unacceptable behavior. some rescue's will put an animal to sleep because of food aggression (not saying chico will ever end up in a rescue don't get me wrong just trying to state how serious food aggression can be.) even if the naimal has the best disposition ever and never snaps any other time exept when it comes to the food, they will euthanize it. (and i'm not saying he should be put to sleep because of it either)

the problem with food aggression is it starts leading to possesivness. if he grabs something that he shouldn't have that had fallen and you try to take it away that possesivness and food aggression sets in and you get bit badley.

a friend had a basenji and it jumped on the table and snatched a block of bakers chocolate and he tried to take it from him and got bit real badly (needed 4 stitches in his finger). the dog had to be admitted to the hospital and almost died from eating the chocolate

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
as always luvvie gave a great advice :D

indeed he can't growl at you ...NEVER !!! i can pour with my finger in their bowls when they are eating and i can take everything from them .

but if another doggie tries to, they become helldoggies :D

we have a cat too ....and they paly with eachother , but if we go somewhere,where they have cats cosmo goes ballistic :? (maybe because ours is hairless it's something different??) i'm always careful then ...cats have sharp claws :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, thats really great advice :) i don't think he has bad fod agression though. he doesnt get mean when me or my cats go near him while he's eating. he only gets mad when i try and take one of his chewies away from him (probly cause it tastes so good) but just to be on the safe side, i will keep on him about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts