Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chico threw up about 2pm... it was yellowish foam, no food.... he threw up about 3 times then acted like he was sick(no energy, sitting, head down) .... he is fine now though

I have read on here that the foam is a sign of an empty stomach?? is this always the case?? he had breakfast around 6am(ziwi/green beans/carrots)... and by 2pm he is empty??? I don't remember him ever getting sick/throwing up when I was feeding only raw chicken twice a day.... is the Ziwi not enough to sustain him twice a day??

after he got sick I gave him 2oz of chicken/bone..... he seemed to perk up after eating it so this makes me think the Ziwi is not enough for him...

thoughts/suggestions/recommendations??

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, it sounds like an empty tummy. Do you feed once a day or twice? If you feed more than once, vary the times he is fed by an hour or more either way. That way his tummy doesn't start anticipating food and give him the bile vomits.

He may need a mid afternoon snack.

I think the raw chicken is probably more filling as it has the bone for fiber, lots of protein and water and satisfying. Even though I love Ziwi - it is still a dry food. Maybe you could do his Ziwi in the morning and then a fresh piece of chicken/bone like you did today in the afternoon.

·
Registered
912 Posts
How many pieces of Ziwi did you give him? Have you been feeding him the Ziwi for very long now or was this the first attempt since you've got it?

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you feed once a day or twice?
He may need a mid afternoon snack.
I feed twice a day... weekdays there is long time between feedings because of my day job... 2:30am first feeding/second feeding is 6pm...weekends or days off there is less time between feedings...I don't know how I can supply an afternoon feeding during the weekdays...are there feeders made that are on timers?? but then I could not be assured the other dog wouldn't eat both of the feedings....

How many pieces of Ziwi did you give him? Have you been feeding him the Ziwi for very long now or was this the first attempt since you've got it?
the bag says .75 per day so that is what I feed him...probably 15 pieces?? then I put green beans and some carrots in with the Ziwi for filler with a little water.... I been feeding Ziwi about a week now. I have noticed yellow spots on my bedspread and thought one of them was peeing on my bed but now I think it was Chico getting sick on it during the week while I was at work....I wonder if he just can't eat the Ziwi... maybe stomach won't tolerate it....

poor lil' feller... I feel like a bad bad mommy making my little boy sick and feeling hungry.... *sigh*

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I agree it sounds like an empty tummy, when I first started feeding a more raw/natural diet, it took some dialing in, Trigger especially was the one to throw up that bile stuff if he went too long between meals. At lunch now I give them all 1 or 2 Stella and Chewy's Carnivore Crunch treats which are just meat and organs and this weird compressed sawdust type texture, and they love those, and we haven't had any issues since then.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I been looking online for automatic feeders and think I will buy 2 of them.... hopefully this will help his little empty belly during the weekdays.... Once chico figures out the feeder I think he will be OK.... he is pretty protective of his food from the other dog so I think it will work....

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
He might play harder sometimes than others & use up more energy requiring a little more food. Sounds like he might have needed a little more food. Glad he feels better now.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Could you leave him with a frozen kong? Put a little hamburger in it or similar and freeze. Then give it to him before you leave. He would spend a lot of time trying to get it out and chewing and that might keep his tummy occupied.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yellow foamy vomit can also be a sign of tonsillitis or respiratory infection (drainage to the stomach) in dogs, but I wouldn't worry about that if he doesn't do it again.

·
Registered
464 Posts
sorry to hear the chico threw up.
it does sound like an empty stomach but perhaps he was also grooming himself and got hairs stuck?

anyway if it is the empty stomach 1-2 treats in the afternoon won't kill him.
:) All dogs like treats sometimes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts