Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearly a year ago, we rescued a chihuahua (12% dachshund) who we think is around 9 years old. He came to us with itchy ears, inflamed feet that he licks constantly (and sometimes bites), and other signs of potential allergies that we haven't been able to fix. The vet told us this is common with chihuahuas and we could spend his whole life doing "detective work" and never figure it out. We have tried three different foods but nothing helps. He's not miserable but we'd like him to be more comfortable. We've used prescription creams, foams, etc. Is it possible he could have some sort of allergic problem? Is there something we haven't thought of? Could anyone recommend foods or medicines or something we could try? Thank you!

·
Registered
116 Posts
there is another post here about same issue. I have a 10 yr old chi who has same itchy problem. I just changed his diet to salmon and sweet potato. He was eating a chicken based food. i also give him benydryl twice a day (10mg). He is still scratching and licking and chewing on his feet, but just not as much. I was giving him some egg in the morning when I have eggs for breakfast, but discovered this also could be a allergic food. I want to take him for the test to see what he is alergic to, but some one said they are very expensive. i'm on limited income, so just trying to eliminate different foods. You can try to keep away from chicken, eggs, chicken broth, etc. and see if that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts