Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new here but I had a question about my chi. A couple days ago, I let my dogs out to potty like always. My chi was doing great going outside, she was happy, playful, would eat and drink. Then that day I let her out with my other dogs same as usual, she was looking for a place to go poo, and my chocolate lab saw the neighbors dog and made a beeline for it and ran my chi over. He basically just bulldozed her over and she kinda flew up in the air, and she came running toward me screaming, and limping.
It took me like 5 minutes to calm her down. However now she's all weird. She won't eat that much, she won't drink, she won't play. She definitely will not go outside now, I have to pick her up and take her out. Its like her spirit is broken. I haven't seen her poo for 2 days, and she hardly pees, she has peed twice outside and none on her puppy pads.
Her leg is much better, she's putting weight on it and isn't limping as much now, but her whole attitude is completely different. Any idea on what her problem is or how I can help her?
She is only 6 months old, and I've had her since she was about 11 or 12 weeks old. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
164 Posts
She needs to see a vet ASAP! Either she has some kinda of internal damage, leg injury, or both, or she is experiencing an anxiety significant enough to be affecting her overall health. She may not be pooing because she's not eating, but the fact that she isn't peeing disturbs me...that and when you say "hasn't been limping that much," which still means she is at least limping a little.
With a breed that small I wouldn't want to take any chances. Something that big running into her could definitely have caused some damage. I hope it's nothing serious but at the least she could probably use an xray, some pain meds, and maybe fluids to help dehydration.
And if she's not eating much I would make sure she is at least being forced to take Karo syrup or NutriCal multiple times a day...and chis whose blood sugar gets to low have been known to go into hypoglycemic shock.

Good luck!!!! :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I agree take her to your vet now!!! Labs are big heavy bouncy dogs and can do serious damage to a little chi. It is not normal for them nit to be peeing or pooing for days

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She needs to be seen by a vet NOW. She should have been seen immediately after this happened. She could have internal injury or broken ribs/bones that are causing her discomfort. Please get her seen today.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I ditto the other replies, vet check ASAP.. even if all tests are clear its best to have peace of mind than worrying.

A dogs internal organs are delicate to start with and a Chi being bulldozed accidently by another dog could do some damage.

So please just for your Chi have aa check over..

My partner who is obese at 17+ stone stood on Jake when he was tiny and I thought Broken leg, it was a sat so had to go to the emergency vet, it cost £107 with the £100 being the consultation fee and the £7 for the pain killer.

Turned out Jake was fine, next day he was bounding all over but though the vet bill was huge (and should have made OH pay it) it was worth the cost just to know he was okay.

Deme x

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll call the vet now, I hope I can get a hold of someone, its already past 4 pm here and its a Saturday! =x

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I am sort of amazed you are here on a forum posting about something so blatantly obvious.
Get your dog to a vet now!
It's extremely dangerous to allow a small dog such as a Chi to go for an extended period of time with no food, and if she is not eliminating that is equally concerning.
Has she ever seen a vet?

·
Registered
489 Posts
yes i would go to a vet as soon as possible....its not worth taking any chances...better safe than sorry....

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Don't think of the cost your dog is priceless and apart fro being in a lot of stress the fact that there is no pooping and very littel peeing is worrying. I would have had my dog at the vets seconds after the incident.. but the good thing is your gonna do it now, so get off the computer and get in your car to the vets.

Not sure where you are from but here in the UK when you call the vet out of hours there is a recorded message giving you the number to call for the emergency vet.

Deme x

PS let us know the results, sending good vibes and hugs to your baby..

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I ditto what everyone else has said, I work for a vet & we see this a lot in small puppies where they get stepped on or bull dozed by a larger dog, sometimes it's not a problem, othertimes it can cause problems. The change in behavior is probably because your puppy is hurting, could be from the leg but could have broken ribs or internal damage. Keep us posted on how things go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My cat got stepped on be my lab mix and it broke her pelvis - not a good thing. It was so sad. The vet showed the x-rays and you could see that it was not good. Lots of drugs and down time helped and she was fine but its serious thing. I have a boxer puppy and will NEVER introduce her to my chis until she is older wiser and calmer. We live in doggie gate ville. They interact through the gates but that is all. Six weeks in confinement before my cat was okay again. I will never go through it again not with pets I love so much. See a vet.......

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Oh dear, I hope this little pup is ok??
Vet visits are a must for little dogs who are so affected by an incident.:( When Adam got bulldozed he went to the vet after a couple of days and with him it was only a persistant limp that bothered him. He was eating/drinking/peeing/pooping/behaving fine. (needless to say he was fine and his leg would of got better sooner if he had stopped chasing and harassing the cats!!LOL).

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Have you not been to the vets yet? Just wondering why nothing has been said but maybe its not good news and your in Knots.... I really hope all is okay...

A worried friend

Deme x

1 - 16 of 16 Posts